cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT: Hi again RoG , need some help again !

Retired
Not applicable
Got an G53JW a few months back, loving it so far. Apart from a few issues.

Thanks to Xeromist, I managed to locate the RoG driver forum page and got my hands onto some useful updates. However, some previous errors I have encountered remain:

1: Now, my first wtf question yet... when I bought it, I knew that this series should have the option of possible added memory upgrade... I compared it with other models and read that it supports up to 8 GB RAM ( from a price comparison site, very trustworthy). The detailed sheet attached to the laptop also mentioned:

4 GB DDR3 RAM 1333 MHZ. And from what I also read online, the models having 1333 MHZ also can get upgraded to 8 GB, the salesguy was also somewhat sure. Now ...

Im seriously confused. Plan to perhaps upgrade my memory, so I went to the Kingston Memory configurator, and typed in my model number. Behold, it mentions that i5 versions only supports below 1333 MHZ and maximum 4 GB RAM.

And that i7 models support 1333 MHZ and 8 GB or more RAM. So... I got an i5 model, the box wrote 1333 MHZ, I just also checked the memory and its 2x 2 GB 1333 MHZ, with the second memory module being hidden since its not on the keyboard side or under the laptop itself. So simply put, can I upgrade my memory to 8 GB RAM ?

Would be awesome if I can get a response on this in time for me to buy tomorrow 🙂

2: Something not easily spotted, but hey, better late than never. I´ve used USB3 with a new USB3 external drive, and unlike USB2, it sometimes randomly drops the connection, making it a somehwhat nightmare incase I wish to transfer or do backup with USB3. Read its mostly a Windows 7 issue with USB3, anyone know anything ?

Also, the laptop has 1 USB3 and 3 USB2 . However, my 3rd USB2 seems not to work at all, even though I installed the new USB drivers from the forum, ( the port on the left side closest to the edge ). So if I want to plug in 4 USB devices, only 3 ports work.

Could this be another Windows 7 issue ? Anyone experienced this before ? Can also had, that I am interested in perhaps adding more USB ports by perhaps getting an Expresscard USB3 adapter. Anyone tested this, or other extra peripherals through it ?

3: Recently ( I suspect due to new Geforce update ) when I try to hibernate my laptop, is freezes itself at the shutdown procedure and the screen is off but everything else is on. Read that the Seagate Barracuda XT ( included HDD) might also possibly contribute with this kind of strange behavior. Any ideas ?

4: When using wireless, the internet doesnt work after about 30 min ( on the laptop ), and only solution is sometimes to deactivate then activate again, or at worst restart. Anyone experienced the same issue with their model or other series ? Solution ?

Very much appreciated for any response I get 🙂 !
Sincerly Boredstick
12 REPLIES 12

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi, I'm a little confused but can give some of the questions a try 😛

As I can understand is that you want to upgrade your RAM on your computer. In this LINK you can see how to find the RAM under KB and under notebook.
When you choose new RAM stick you have to make sure it is DDR3 SDRAM - 1333 MHz (When I saw the info for the G53 in "komplett" I saw that it's supported to 8GB RAM and no more than that).

That with USB 3.0 I'm not sure, but have discoverd that sometimes with one external disk (I got) that pops out and wont come back on (but other disks work fine that's support 3.0)

With your wireless problem, If you got the Atheros WiFi card, perhaps you should download the latest drivers to see if that fixes the problem (look at this New Drivers thread) 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Retired
Not applicable
Hello fuzon, do tell what is confusing 🙂

Yes, I already checked both video and guide on how to dissasemble to locate the RAM, and unfortunatly, its not on the keyboard side ( no empty memory slot at all ), and on the underside is one of the 2 GB modules.

Yeah I figured that 1333 MHZ DDR3 SDRAM would be the most suitable, my only issue is IF my laptop can handle more than 4, since I got so much mixed information from so many sources.

Also, my model as noted above is a G53JW, and from what I seen, there are other models such as SW, which makes it all the more confusing, and messed up, if say the SW is identical to JW, with only difference being perhaps different HDD and one max 4 GB RAM and the other 8 GB. Ah, seems I perhaps got it right with the USB3, that its more of a Windows 7 issue than my laptop or external drive. Gonna continue to try find a solution for that 🙂

Yeah I updated the Atheros card with latest drivers before, with the same minor problems, gonna maybe try reinstall the drivers and hope that might work. Eitherway, thanks for your response, very much appreciated 🙂 !

JRd1st
Level 12
2. The USB 3 adapter on this notebook is sketchy. We get lots of reports of the same type. Update the driver. http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers
The USB2 problem sounds like hardware. RMA http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4803-ASUS-US-amp-Canada-RMA-Guide
3. Do a windows restore to a time before that behaviour.
4. Update the driver. http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-New-Drivers

Read the stickies, man. There's a lot of stuff up there you could use.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Hello JRd1st

All drivers are fully updated ( USB3, Wifi ), but Im gonna try again, perhaps an error during new update.

Hmm would be most unfortunate to send in my laptop just for an USB2 issue, but guess others dont have that problem, so guess I´ll have to try and see what my store can help me with ( replacement laptop during the time etc. )

Could try the restore after I checked incase its the Nvidia drivers, thanks for the reminder on that though 🙂

I read the stickies and other possible sites online refering to the G53 series, and none had the answers I am looking for ( especially the confusion with the G53JW and RAM expansion )

fuzon1337
Level 10
I think that computer is supposed to only have 2 RAM slots, I got it also, but with G74 (if I'm not wrong) got 4 slots.

If I'm not mistaken that i5 processor got chipset Intel HM55 and the i7 got Intel HM65 and the chipset is the one that sets the limit of how much RAM you can install to your computer. (Another big difference with these processors what I could see was 1. gen and 2. gen processors. So it's always something different with the versions Asus make) 😉

So if you want to change your RAM to 8GB you have to change those who is already in the G53 with to new ones (4x4) 🙂 I would say that since it stands in the information about that your computer supports up to 8GB RAM there should not be any issues with the sources that uses the RAM 😉
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Retired
Not applicable
Hello again fuzon. Time for more confusion on my end XD

Correct, mine seems to have only 2 slots ( one under the laptop, one UNDER the keyboard HIDDEN, not ontop of keyboard ), and both are occupied with 2x 2 GB 1333 MHZ DDR3 SDRAM.

Yeah, from what I read on Kingston, it mentions that the G53 has 2 slots while the G74 series can have 2 or 4 slots. What confuses me further now is the fact that Kingston mentions that the G53 series, no matter if i5 or i7, have the same chipset, yet only i7 version can have 1333 MHZ and 8 GB.

I indeed planned to replace all my sticks ( or atleast the hidden one at a retailer ) with 4 GB modules, but the confusion with the maximum RAM is currently holding me back from purchasing new memory.

My i5 is apparently second gen, so guess Asus gets the boot for making this ordeal somewhat harder than it needs to be. Well, hope to hear more opinions on this matter, be it from you or other members 🙂

Retired
Not applicable
Hi again JR.

Well, guess I´ll ask Asus the next time I get the chance to talk to them hehe. Their hardware is excellent, yet I guess they could do better with more usefull information. So touche on that comment 🙂

JRd1st
Level 12
Why do we all have to sit around and wonder about these things? Everything is trial and error with ASUS notebooks because there's no useful documentation. :sigh:

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st
Level 12
All the info is behind the Great Wall of ASUS. :rolleyes: