cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX980 owners with soundcard - Mic interference?

GoNz0-
Level 10
I am having a hell of a time with my kit. The onboard sound is quite frankly not as advertised, it isn't able to power 150ohm cans so god help people with 600ohm ones.

I stuck in my Phoebus but the GTX980 is sending interference out causing a helicopter sound on the microphone so people in voice chat during a game complain about it. It seems Asus and Creative forgot about the PCIe lanes passing interference.

I have now got a Creative ZXR card and it does the same, at least the NR on that can take it away without going belly up like the Phoebus but the ZXR also pops on the speakers so that is going back as well.

Anyone else have this issue if you have a 9 Series nvidia card, add on audio, and a loaded GPU (works ok when idle)

To check enable listen to this device for the mic and stress test the GPU.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Techotic
Level 7
If you are getting internal noise, never get an internal add-in sound card - those are a complete waste of money. USB headphone Amp/Dac with USB mic is the way to go, and you can get them fairly cheap.

I have an O2 + ODAC, AT2020+ mic (which is a more expensive setup), and run 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI. Absolutely no noise, and the mic sounds crisp.

D_S_O_
Level 7
GoNz0, Is your ZxR connected to PCIE_X1_1? I have no problem with the sound (GTX980 + ZxR using analog out) in there.
Also, have you disabled on-board audio controller?

From my experience most of the computer systems’ sound quality problems are due to (in order of priority):
- quality of interconnecting cables and their reticulation - in and out of cases
- improper or improperly mounted on-board shields
- faulty components
- driver issues.

Can you post a photo of your case’s insides? Then, I will further elaborate on the subject.

D.S.O. wrote:
GoNz0, Is your ZxR connected to PCIE_X1_1? I have no problem with the sound (GTX980 + ZxR using analog out) in there.
Also, have you disabled on-board audio controller?

From my experience most of the computer systems’ sound quality problems are due to (in order of priority):
- quality of interconnecting cables and their reticulation - in and out of cases
- improper or improperly mounted on-board shields
- faulty components
- driver issues.

Can you post a photo of your case’s insides? Then, I will further elaborate on the subject.

cards been removed so I will have to have a fiddle again later, it was the x1 slot, you can reproduce this by loading the GPU and listening to the mic input, even with no mic connected it is screaming at you with noise reduction turned off.

The thing that pissed me off was the pops and crackles like I had way back when I had the x-fi installed. I could live with functional noise reduction software but the pops and crackles did it.

ariskar
Level 7
SBZ & 980 = no problems with microphone. However my single 980 runs at 8x

ariskar wrote:
SBZ & 980 = no problems with microphone. However my single 980 runs at 8x

what about running furmark and what slots the sbz in ?

so you can hear yourself with listen to mic enabled and the noise reduction turned off ?