cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up new Asus G20 properly to avoid problems?

BlueCricket
Level 7
Yeah, I posted yesterday about having issues with my Asus G20 after installing a couple of Windows updates.

In short, after installing Windows updates and optional updates, my PC would restart to apply the changes, but it couldn't get past the Asus logo. It would restart on its own maybe 3 times before Windows tried to diagnose the problem. I would then do an entire system reset, everything booted up, I installed Windows updates only, left the optional ones untouched, restarted everything just fine to apply the updates, inserted the CD the G20 came with, not sure what exactly it is for, but it says VGA Driver Rev 1.0. My PC restarted to finish installing whatever is in the CD, I then applied the optional windows updates, my PC restarted to apply the updates, and once again it would get stuck in the Asus logo. It would restart repeatedly until Windows diagnose the problem. I factory reset my PC for the second time now. I already installed the Windows updates, deleted the bloatware and everything is running just fine. i haven't installed the CD nor have I applied the optional Windows updates, which I took a screenshot of.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/17woixel3gn9vmk/Screenshot%20%281%29.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bg3fjw71utzdsgr/20150301_184213~01.jpg?dl=0

Anyone know if I installing the CD is necessary?
Are the optional updates necessary, too?

I don't know much about computers, so I could use the help. lol

By the way, I have the i5, GTX 750 one.
7 REPLIES 7

emitch87
Level 7
Boot to safe mode, uninstall VittuWatt ND see if that works. I kept having issues after a Windows update until I did that.

Bodycount69
Level 9
VittuWatt is junk I had to delete it then my system ran fine
Asus ROG PG348Q Black 34" 3440 x 1440, 100Hz Curved IPS G-Sync 21:9 WQHD Gaming Monitor
2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX OC Edition in SLI

doeboydk
Level 7
yea delete vittuwatt in safemode or boot up on the intel card for some reason virtuwatt is not to keen on updated nvidia drivers beside the one that comes preinstalled

edmak1804
Level 7
Also goto the Asus website and download the latest Bios update for your PC
NEVER install the Nvidia updates through Windows Update Manager, either manually download or use the Nvidia Geforce Experience program or whatever their auto download program is.
Stay away from VitruWatt, Block it, Uninstall it, forget it exists
Im also sure you hear it alot, but i highly recomend making frequant backups of your pc, hell store it on an extra thumb drive or something just in case

edmak1804 wrote:
Also goto the Asus website and download the latest Bios update for your PC
NEVER install the Nvidia updates through Windows Update Manager, either manually download or use the Nvidia Geforce Experience program or whatever their auto download program is.
Stay away from VitruWatt, Block it, Uninstall it, forget it exists
Im also sure you hear it alot, but i highly recomend making frequant backups of your pc, hell store it on an extra thumb drive or something just in case

just wondering what the bios update does exactly ? am still running with the stock bios
back in the day i would go nowhere near bios updates unless they are really really needed
seen a few cases of bios flash fails over the years

hori
Level 7
make sure your comp is set to high performance in the asus command, and update like the others said....zero fan issues since this for me for 4 weeks

edmak1804
Level 7
Ill be honest, based on what i saw on the forums when it came out (early to mid Janurary if my memory serves correctly) it isnt exactly specified but many suspect it has to do with either the videocard or power issues, just an FYI though, the BIOS are dated Oct or Nov despite being released in Jan.