cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW Laptop Temperature Increasing - Ways to fix?

Torpedo499
Level 7
My G750JW's temperature has been increasing recently, I've reinstalled Windows 8.1 and confirmed that it was my hardware causing the heat ups, not any software using the CPU.

I've had my laptop for about 16 months now and I was wondering anything I can do to cool it down, I'm not good at taking technology apart and I really don't want to break anything.

Can I send it in to Asus for a repaste/dusting?
How much would that cost me?
How long would it take to return to me?

Thanks for your help, taking any recommendations!
7 REPLIES 7

Maxter
Level 9
maybe dirt in the heat sinks?

hmscott
Level 12
Torpedo499 wrote:
My G750JW's temperature has been increasing recently, I've reinstalled Windows 8.1 and confirmed that it was my hardware causing the heat ups, not any software using the CPU.

I've had my laptop for about 16 months now and I was wondering anything I can do to cool it down, I'm not good at taking technology apart and I really don't want to break anything.

Can I send it in to Asus for a repaste/dusting?
How much would that cost me?
How long would it take to return to me?

Thanks for your help, taking any recommendations!

Torpedo499, you could ask Asus 🙂

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry asking nicely to get your laptop dust cleaned out and re-pasted if needed. I wouldn't say anything about the price, let Asus respond first.

If you have any computer service centers around, you could ask the manager at one if they would open it up and clean out the dust, and check the paste job to see if it has dried out and needs re-doing.

Cleaning out the dust bunnies might be enough 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Torpedo499, you could ask Asus 🙂

https://vip.asus.com <== create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry asking nicely to get your laptop dust cleaned out and re-pasted if needed. I wouldn't say anything about the price, let Asus respond first.

If you have any computer service centers around, you could ask the manager at one if they would open it up and clean out the dust, and check the paste job to see if it has dried out and needs re-doing.

Cleaning out the dust bunnies might be enough 🙂

Thanks for the tip! Do you have an estimate of how long it will take?

Torpedo499 wrote:
Thanks for the tip! Do you have an estimate of how long it will take?

Torpedo499, for a local place, overnight, for Asus, anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks, or more 🙂

Mostly Asus is fast, but some regions seem to have 3rd party support hired by Asus that isn't quite speedy in any sense 🙂

Where are you located, approximately?

hmscott wrote:
Torpedo499, for a local place, overnight, for Asus, anywhere from 1 week to 4 weeks, or more 🙂

Mostly Asus is fast, but some regions seem to have 3rd party support hired by Asus that isn't quite speedy in any sense 🙂

Where are you located, approximately?

Thank you, I really appreciate the help! Do think a local store such as Geek Squad from Best Buy would do a good job? I'd probably want to watch them clean it out and repaste so I can know what to do later on.

Torpedo499 wrote:
Thank you, I really appreciate the help! Do think a local store such as Geek Squad from Best Buy would do a good job? I'd probably want to watch them clean it out and repaste so I can know what to do later on.

Torpedo499, you can call ahead and ask... I haven't used them for that, I don't know how far they dig in, or if they farm it out to external services.

Please let us know what they say 🙂

zeussalmighty
Level 7
I don't think they would do that. We do it quite often at work. Some laptops are easier than others, some require dismantling in full.
I guess you would pay approximately £40! £60

Some laptops have a compartment to get access to the fan/heatsink, the dust usually builds up into a felt in between the fan assembly and the heatsink radiator, you have to disconnect the 2 to peel the felt off! Pet hairs & smoking make this worse!

I've just had a quick look at your model and there is no compartment to get easy access, it appears to be a pain!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dkQ4rajyM