cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coca Cola damage

VoluptaBox
Level 7
Hello folks,

Yesterday I did a very dumb thing: I spilled a glass of Cola on my Rog G551. Turned the laptop off, unplugged everything, cleaned and let it dry for a bit.

Turned it on a bit yesterday and again today and stuff seems to be fine, but I have a plethora of doubts. I hope you may be able to help me out.

The laptop turns on and works just fine. Keyboard and track pad also work, although a few keys are extremely sticky.

How do you suggest I proceed? I was considering taking the PC to an assistance center and I have made a few phone calls, but I am not convinced. Answers from experts ranged from "if it looks fine it probably is" to "your motherboard is undoubtedly fried". Even a simple clean job is rather expensive over here (Italy), involves certain risks and will void my warranty. Technicians also don't seem particularly trustworthy.

Do you have any tips on how I should proceed or see if there was any hardware damage? I haven't noticed anything particularly odd apart from the sticky keys. The laptop seemed to heat a bit more than usual yesterday, but I may just be paranoid. It was a bit warmer than usual and I was hearing the fan for the first time since I bought it, but it was hardly overheating.

Any replies are appreciated!
Cheers.
2 REPLIES 2

NemesisChild
Level 12
If possible, I would suggest removing the keyboard and inspect the motherboard as well.
Also check to see if there's any left over residue on the HDD/SSD and memory modules.
If there's no sign of charring on the motherboard or other components, then consider yourself very lucky.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

I do think I am extremely lucky. The Laptop has been on for over 12 hours now and everything is working perfectly: no heating, no weird noises, nothing out of the ordinary. Some keys are extremely sticky but that is really it. I might take the keyboard apart tomorrow and give it a good cleaning. Some suggested that the stickiness will eventually go away by itself, but I fear a lot of dust and other crap my deposit on all that sugar.

Cheers.