cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g750js thermal paste replacement

TulnukaWara
Level 7
Hi,

i have owned my ASUS g750js (i7 4710HQ , 3gb 870m , 16gb ram and so on)laptop allmost 4 months now. Last weekend i opened my laptop for cleaning from dust. And i was thinking, what is the best thermal compound for this laptop to use. Right now its using the OEM one. But when i played H1Z1 then the GPU temps where around 91c. Its not like the end of world, but i would like it to use the mest paste as possible. And maybe theres some tips before i replace it. Im familiar with desktop computers and so on, but laptops are little bit different. Sry about my english, its not my first language.

Thanks!
42 REPLIES 42

hmscott
Level 12
TulnukaWara wrote:
Hi,

i have owned my ASUS g750js (i7 4710HQ , 3gb 870m , 16gb ram and so on)laptop allmost 4 months now. Last weekend i opened my laptop for cleaning from dust. And i was thinking, what is the best thermal compound for this laptop to use. Right now its using the OEM one. But when i played H1Z1 then the GPU temps where around 91c. Its not like the end of world, but i would like it to use the mest paste as possible. And maybe theres some tips before i replace it. Im familiar with desktop computers and so on, but laptops are little bit different. Sry about my english, its not my first language.

Thanks!

TulnukaWara, you are still under warranty, and if you are hitting Thermal Throttling on the CPU, monitor with hwinfo64 Sensors Only mode and run some stress tests like Prime95+Furmark 15 min Burnin and log the results with hwinfo64, then you can show Asus that you are Thermal throttling and they will re-paste it for you 🙂

hwinfo64 download
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

No sense mucking around with it yourself.

Unless you have done it a lot - re-pasting laptops - if are like everyone else that has posted about doing their own re-pasting you will run into issues along the way - including being unsure of whether to use Thermal pads / shims to bridge the gap between the cooling plates and the ram/gpu, and whether you should have used thick vs thin paste, and the thermal result might be worse - or degrade quickly over time (paste is too thin and dries up) - the problem could be with heat-pipe / mating of plates, and you will want to open it up again, and again, to try something else...

Re-pasting and recovery then becomes the focus of your interaction with the laptop instead of enjoying it for gaming. 😞

You already paid for the warranty, why not let Asus do the work?

Please come back and let us know how it works out 🙂

Hi, tnx for quick answer. I just finished replacing thermal paste for cpu and gpu. And its great! I had gpu temps 91c when i played H1Z1 but now its around 75c. And at idle its 38c. And cpu is at idle 42c and under load around 60c. So i guess it worked 🙂 I used mx4 thermal paste.

Best wishes!
Martin

TulnukaWara wrote:
Hi, tnx for quick answer. I just finished replacing thermal paste for cpu and gpu. And its great! I had gpu temps 91c when i played H1Z1 but now its around 75c. And at idle its 38c. And cpu is at idle 42c and under load around 60c. So i guess it worked 🙂 I used mx4 thermal paste....

TulnukaWara, that's great, glad to hear it worked out.

Those temp numbers are too low, you might want to give yourself more time to do a more thorough series of tests... it has only been a few hours since your first post asking how to proceed with re-pasting 🙂

If you can't get your CPU hotter than 60c, you aren't running it at 100% long enough.

Those numbers are much lower than anyone else, including those that have repasted with MX-4, have reported.

Try a run with prime95 small FFT + Furmark 1080p 15 minute Burnin, and monitor temps during the run, like this:

Please post the results 🙂

Hi, yes they are lower than usual. But i havent tried the prime95 because im just comparing those temps with in-game playing that i have earlier and now. But i will use prime95 allso. One more question. How much cooling does vram need. Originally Asus is using some kind of tape-paste material. And im wondering, if my solution is going to damage my 870m vram. My gpu has rly good spread layer of paste but vram got some thicker layer of paste. And what would be the best material/method to use on vram. Is it thermal paste, thermal tape or something else.

Thanks in front!

TulnukaWara wrote:
Hi, yes they are lower than usual. But i havent tried the prime95 because im just comparing those temps with in-game playing that i have earlier and now. But i will use prime95 allso. One more question. How much cooling does vram need. Originally Asus is using some kind of tape-paste material. And im wondering, if my solution is going to damage my 870m vram. My gpu has rly good spread layer of paste but vram got some thicker layer of paste. And what would be the best material/method to use on vram. Is it thermal paste, thermal tape or something else.

Thanks in front!

TulnukaWara, that is what I explained in my first post, there are variances in height between the board components and the cooler plate - the thicker material used by Asus is designed to bridge that variable gap, and is supposed to harden such that it doesn't dry out even though the sides are exposed to the air.

Some have used thermal pads, copper shims, and thick paste (K5 pro).

What did you use on the VRAM/GPU? MX4? Thin pastes that don't bridge the gap will dry and crumble and your temps will go up.

Hi, ok thanks for answer. I think i go buy some thermal pads/tape and use it there because i wached lot of different videos about mxm cards. And they all used those thermal pads/tape. I guess it would be nice. Do you agree?. And yes i unfortunently use mx4 now. But i can change it right away. I started to worry that in future it would not be good, so thats why im thinking to change it to thermal pads. Do you think http://www.kontaktchemie.com/KOC/ this is ok for cleaning the mxm card from the old thermal paste and some small ammounts of asus original thermal solution.

Thanks in advance!

TulnukaWara wrote:
Hi, ok thanks for answer. I think i go buy some thermal pads/tape and use it there because i wached lot of different videos about mxm cards. And they all used those thermal pads/tape. I guess it would be nice. Do you agree?. And yes i unfortunently use mx4 now. But i can change it right away. I started to worry that in future it would not be good, so thats why im thinking to change it to thermal pads. Do you think http://www.kontaktchemie.com/KOC/ this is ok for cleaning the mxm card from the old thermal paste and some small ammounts of asus original thermal solution.
Thanks in advance!

TulnukaWara, no, not contact cleaner, you want Isopropyl Alcohol, and a cotton ball or gauze (soft stuff) to wipe off the crud/goo. There is a product made by Arctic Silver, but the Isopropyl Alcohol can be picked up lots more places 🙂

ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover & Surface Purifier
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

Hi, i just finished with repasting the gpu and putting thermal pads on the gpu and so on. And i ran some tests with Prime95 and Furmark 1080p.

Prime95 was 84c max and after 15min 82c current. And Furmark was ok at the beginning and the max temps where 82c. But there was some throtteling at the end. I could see fps small drops and gpu frequency drops allso. So i guess its ok for me. Maybe in future il see whats going on around the gpu , but for now its good 🙂 I guess

Thanks for advice! 😉

I had new prime95 and furmark test this morning, and the temps where same, maybe 1c lower, but no throtteing or fps drops. So i guess it was just too fresh yesterday. But im confused. I cant understand why my nvidia GPU is ~40c when its idle. Because with optimus, it should be 0c if im not using it. Any advice? Or im just imagening it ?

Best wishes!