ROG Member Array

Is my STRIX 980 faulty? 0db fans doesn't work at idle

I have relatively good airflow in my system (140mm intake fan, 120mm exhaust, tons of ventilation).

My problem is that my STRIX 980 doesn't stay under 65 degrees at idle. So every minute or so it peaks above 65, the fans kick in (albeit at low RPM) then ramp back down until it's at about 50 degrees, then stop. This then repeats, over and over and over, while I'm using the PC for browsing, video watching and so on.

The only time the "0db technology" actually works is if the screen is in standby (idle). This allows it to stay under 65 degrees with no fan. But even running Aero makes it slowly creep over 65 and make the fans run.

Granted, I run my desktop 2560x1440 at 144 Hz - I haven't tested it at 1080p. But I wonder if my passive cooling is optimal or if anyone else is experiencing this. It's supposed to stay under 65 during "light gaming" or video watching yet mine can't just running the desktop.

Otherwise the card is a good performer (120% power, +170 core, +400 memory for me) and heavy gaming is in the mid to high 70s, so load temps are good.
    Last edited by Darkfalz; 02-01-2015 at 04:20 AM.

ROG Member Array

I think from other threads this is a due with a bug of clocks not going down at 144 Hz. I'm pretty sure my 680 GTX did not have this problem, but it seems more like a driver than a card fault? Or could it be fixed by the BIOS?

ROG Member Array uofaboy PC Specs
    uofaboy PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG G751JY-DH73-CA
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VII Formula
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz
    Memory (part number)Avexir 32GB DDR3-2400 White LED
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix Geforce GTX 980 4GB
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 980 4GB
    Sound CardASUS Xonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q
    Storage #11TB Samsung Evo 840 SSD
    Storage #2240GB Crucial M500 SSD
    CPU CoolerXSPC Raystorm RX360 Water Cooling Loop
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860i
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Red Mechanical
    Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB
    Headset ASUS Strix Pro Headset
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM600 Mouse Mat
    Headset/Speakers Logitech X906 5.1 THX Surround
    OS Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC87U AC2400

Hmmm I have the 980 Strix with the RoG Swift in WQHD resolution and the fans never seem to ramp up.... I suppose my gpu temps on idle seem to hover around 40-48..

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

With an adequate airflow in your case, the Strix 980 hardly goes over 65C when idle or when it is put under a light load.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Darkfalz is correct, this is centered on the failure of the cards to downclock to the 135mhz idle speed and instead sit at the 996 or 1088 mhz speed. When it stays at the elevated speed, it also stays at elevated voltage, leading to the intermitent fan activity.

It is tied to the setting the Nvidia graphics panel about power managment being set to adaptive or max performance.

Additionally, there is an effect on the clock state by using 144hz vs 120 vs 60.

I have not yet figured out why some people at 120 hz get 135mhz and others do not, but my system sometimes drops to 135, other times it does not....

Officially blaming .... AMD.... why? Just because.