cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those of you wondering what Bluray Drives work with the G751JT-CH71 laptops

DX6Or
Level 8
I had purchased my ASUS ROG G751JT-CH71 just a little under a month ago and was playing games and was just in awe about how beautiful the laptop plays games... its a friggin beast!
not only that but the IPS panel the games were being displayed on is just pure visual heaven.

i thought to myself, I have to watch a Blu-ray movie.

However, i was saddened when i found out that the stock Optical drive that came installed on my beautiful laptop was only a
DVD Multi drive.
i went shopping trying to find a slot loading Blu-ray drive. i found one and bought it thinking everything was perfectly fine.

Wrong!!
The slot loading Blu-ray drive i had ordered was slightly fatter than the Drive-bay of the G751JT-CH71, so i was sad once again.
then because of the good people here on ASUS ROG forums, i found out that i was in fact supposed to be searching for a 9.5mm
Blu-ray drive instead of a standard sized laptop Blu-ray drive.

My 9.5mm Panasonic Blu-ray (BDRE) drive came in the mail today and i installed it immediately.

I had to be sure and watch Avatar on Blu-Ray disc to fully make sure that it was a flawless installation!
Im literally writing this after i had watched Avatar Extended Director's cut box set Blu-ray.

The Panasonic Blu-ray Drive i had purchased for my G751JT-CH71 indeed works!
All i had to do is swap the bezel from the drive that came with my laptop and the bezel of the Panasonic Blu-ray drive and it
installed snugly and was detected immediately 🙂

The Blu-ray drive that fits my model is linked Below:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HG77LSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its a 9.5 mm tray loading BDRE drive

as for the playback...... I JUST CANNOT BELIEVE MY EYES!! ! hahha the quality of visuals is just ridiculously beautiful.... the first movie i thought to
play was Avatar the Extended collector's edition Blu-ray box set because its a visually stunning and breathtaking movie..

I am left with 1 Baffling question tho

why OHH WHY would Asus not ship these laptops with a Blu-ray player by default.... lol - it seems like an absolute sin, not to
playback Blu-rays on this laptop 🙂

Games are amazing on the 1920x1080p 75Hz IPS display of this laptop... and as soon as i bought this thing i knew a Blu-ray drive would be an
absolute NO-brainer... i was not wrong at all.. i loved the G751JT-CH71 the way it was, BUT the Blu-ray drive just added playback of all 50 or so
Blu-rays i have on my shelf. so now i love it like 500% more.
5 REPLIES 5

rracres
Level 7
DX60r I would love to do the same thing. How do you get the old drive out? I took out the one screw shown in upgrade guide but the DVD drive would not slide out. Don't want to order blu ray drive until I'm sure I can remove drive. Thanks for any help you can give me. Was also surprized it didn't come with blu ray!

DX6Or
Level 8
its easy. take the panel off the bottom of the laptop by pulling out the rubber stopper (shaped like a triangle)- dont pull it too hard because you will
rip it off.
then unscrew the screw underneath. lift that entire panel off the laptop gently and you will see the RAM compartment.

there will be a screw facing the Optical drive inside of the RAM compartment directly center and you will have to remove that screw.

there will be a small aluminum or metal lip underneath that screw/ that screw and bracket hold the DVD drive in place. once you remove that screw,
you pressthat metal lip to the side very carefully to pop the drive out of the side just enough for you to pull it
completely out
then once the drive is out you remove the two very small screws that hold the bracket in place on the back of the
drive and put it on your new Bluray drive on the same spot

the bezel thing is a little bit more difficult and you can eventually break a the plastic that holds them in place. but i will try and explain as best as
possible

to remove bezels from the optical drives:

you will need a small pin that you can manually eject the drive tray with.

once the drive tray is ejected, you can see small little plastic lips that lock into place at the edge of the Tray. VERY VERY carefully use an eyeglass
flathead to GENTLY push those in and you will free the bezel from the tray. (these plastic lips are sometimes VERY tiny and will snap off if too much pressure is applied.

rracres
Level 7
Thank you so much for that explanation. I will try it tonight. Have a great day!

ohh! no problem, im glad i helped!

Dam i din see this before. I ordered the wrong drive myself (slot input) and later got exactly what u got. Installed it but i am stuck with one strange problem. My Computer does not show my BD Drive anymore. Its there , its working but my computer wont show it. So i cant access any files in it. I installed Power DvD and was able to play a movie from it but i just cant see the drive or folder from my computer. When i made device manager scan for hardware change it did not find anything not it updated the drive. From where did you get the driver for your drive?