cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX keeps crashing when I play games on it

Retired
Not applicable
Hello,

I am a new forum member and I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and how they resolved the issue:

When I was playing Skyrim, the laptop keeps crashing and I can't do anything except restart the computer. By crashing, I mean, a line appears on the screen and then the entire screen turns green or all these squares come up. After this happens, I cannot do anything. I can't do alt+ctrl+del or alt+tab. I am forced to hold the power button to restart the computer.

What is causing this issue? Please help. I am also a newbie with computers so please keep that in mind.
36 REPLIES 36

JRd1st
Level 12
Install HWinfo64 and set it to LOG temperatures, because your PC is crashing and you'd lose that data otherwise.

Also, read the sticky up above about the Atheros Wifi card. Your problem may fall into that category, so uninstall your Atheros Wifi driver and install the one linked in the thread.

Good luck, and come back if you still need us. 😄
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
JRd1st wrote:
Install HWinfo64 and set it to LOG temperatures, because your PC is crashing and you'd lose that data otherwise.

Also, read the sticky up above about the Atheros Wifi card. Your problem may fall into that category, so uninstall your Atheros Wifi driver and install the one linked in the thread.

Good luck, and come back if you still need us. 😄

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded HWinfo64 and I started logging. I am about to play the game now and after it crashes, I will check the temperature logs.

On a sidenote, I don't have Atheros Wifi Card on my computer. I have Intel Centrino Wireless N 6150 under Device Manager.

JRd1st
Level 12
Ok. Most G74s have the crappy Atheros card. You're lucky.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
I think I might have figured out the problem. According to the temperature logs, the GPU Temperature maxed out at 125.6 degrees Fahrenheit before crashing. The maximum this temperature should be is only 109.4 degrees Fahrenheit according to HWinfo64. The GPU GT Cores also rose way above the suggested maximum temperature.

So, what are the next steps to troubleshoot this?

EDIT: things I have already done: 1. Updated BIOS to 203, 2. Updated nVidia drivers to 285.62

Yahooligan
Level 7
Hmmm, IMO 109F and even 125F aren't particularly hot for a GPU under load. You sure it wasn't reporting in C? The GTX560m is good for 80-90 degrees C, which is 175F-195F. Doesn't sound like temperature is your problem.
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

JRd1st
Level 12
Um, you have a wrong idea, someplace. Gpu's can go up to 90c before there's danger. That Min and Max you're seeing are not limits.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Yes, I am sure it's not Celsius. Oh, I didn't know that the temps in HWinfo64 aren't necessarily the limits. Any other suggestions?? Here is a picture of what my screen looks like when it crashes, no idea if it will help you guys out:

Wasn't Skyrim just released? I would go after the Skyrim logs or try messing with the game settings in the Nvidia control panel?
G74SX-A1
BIOS: NONE | VGA: 560M @ 311.00 | WIFI: AR9002WB-1NG @ 9.2.0.458 | LAN: Realtek PCIe BGE @ 7.37.1229.2010 | Synaptic: 15.3.43.0 | Audio: Realtek @ 6.0.1.6564
Chipset: 9.3.0.1019 | P4G: 1.1.48 | Wireless Console : 3.0.27

Does it happen in every game? Or just Skyrim?