cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to decrease boot time?

Panda
Level 7
Can you guys send any tips/tweaks to decrease boot time? I'm really paranoid with my 1-3 minute boot time with my dual 7200rpm harddrives. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Are you running a clean installation, Panda?

Normally, I'd take a look at the boot list in msconfig and uncheck programs that really don't need to start up right away. But 2-3 minutes isn't just a few too many programs......that makes me think the Windows configuration is problematic. I've seen those kinds of really long boot times when necessary drivers aren't installed, or aren't installed properly. Windows spends time trying to resolve these issues.

Panda
Level 7
No I am not running a clean installation, is it too late, and is it possible to do without a recovery disk?
And I already have disabled unneeded services and programs and also used the boot up with 8 cores option.

Panda wrote:
No I am not running a clean installation, is it too late, and is it possible to do without a recovery disk?
And I already have disabled unneeded services and programs and also used the boot up with 8 cores option.

Yes, you can do a clean install without the recovery discs. In fact, you must, because the recovery discs don't give you a clean installation....they just give the same bloated OEM installation the computer shipped with. To do a clean installation, you use a Windows installer disc.* This way, you start with nothing but Windows, only add the drivers you need, and then carefully choose the programs you actually want. There's really no substitute for that, because with many programs, even uninstalling them doesn't clean them from your system.

* The installers can be donwloaded, and don't worry, this is perfectly legal. You must install the same edition of Windows you currently use, and you activate it with the Windows Product key that came with your computer.

fostert
Level 12
Could try Puran Defrag: it will move common system files needed for boot to the front of the partition/drive which is the fastest part of the disk, while defragmenting your disk better than Windows itself can. Its free too.

First thing I would do though is run regedit and look under Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/run for what is starting up at boot.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

JRd1st
Level 12
Turn off autoupdaters except the one for your AV .
Don't let programs like Skype, Steam, and Trillian autostart.
Turn off disk indexing.
Don't let ccleaner delete your pagefile or index.dat
Use Perfect Disk to defrag usung SmartPlacement
Read Black Viper's tips (link in New Drivers sticky)
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Panda - if you boot into Safe Mode - how long does it take ?
If this is also a long time - I'd say , you have some device slowing it down . You can try disconnecting those which you can , and then disabling those you can't .
You can use Boot Timer utility from here http://www.planetsoft.org/ for a regular boot .

JRd1st
Level 12
Panda decided to do a clean install! I'm walking her/him through a clean install in the pm's.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com