cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid Damn Problem

zeussalmighty
Level 7
So when I install my graphics card with default BIOS settings I get error code 15 on my motherboard and get no display. If I tweak the bios (usually have the XMP profile, slightly increase bclock) I can get my system to boot and work fine!!

But if I start tinkering in BIOS again it likes to got back to the error code 15.

Then I have to remove me graphics card (removing the 6 & 8 pin power doesn't help so i just leave them in) from the PCIE slot and use on-board VGA to reconfigure the BIOS until I get it working again!

I thought it may have been some kind of power issue with my PSU, but I've just upgraded that to a Corsair 600W and still have this issue.

I have a Radeon 6670 which seems to work fine whatever I do!
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hello zeussalmighty

Code 15 - Pre-memory System Agent initialization is started

List your system specs including your cpu cooler please.

Hi,

The specs are those I filled in on my profile (under my username).
Thanks,

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi zeussalmighty
If your Bios is not saving your input, might be a good idea to update to 2304 via your flashback port. Don't forget the renamer tool at the same time if using this method. (Bios Utilities) Current version is for better stability and support for 5th gen processors. It may help.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi zeussalmighty
If your Bios is not saving your input, might be a good idea to update to 2304 via your flashback port. Don't forget the renamer tool at the same time if using this method. (Bios Utilities) Current version is for better stability and support for 5th gen processors. It may help.

It is saving the bios fine, but if I make a bad alteration and the bios resets the graphics card will stop the system booting. I then have to remove it and reconfigure with OB vga then refit vga card. Just seems odd how it won't work and gives the error code 15 on default bios.

I will try the bios update to see if it improves.

One more note, thr graphics card has a dual bios but switching it doesn't prevent the error.

Nate152
My mistake I should have seen your specs.

When you increase the BCLK that increases the cpu speed as well as the ram speed.

In my experience code 15 is not very common with the ROG boards.

Normally when "tinkering" with settings in the bios you will get an overclock failed message if your system is unstable.

I see you upgraded to a new psu but it's a bronze psu which is a budget psu. Even though it is new this COULD be causing the problem.

zeussalmighty
Level 7
I've just updated the BIOS and after doing so had to remove the card again and tinker in the BIOS. This time I just let it run the auto EZ overclocking feature (forgot the exact name of it 😞 ) and selected tower cooler. After this it would work with VGA card.

I experienced that message with my old card when overclocking to much!

I can't really afford another PSU right now, I may try one of Amazon at a later date. I thought this should be sufficient for the power consumption and generally find them OK for a budget PSU.
It did experience the same problem with my old PSU - Antec 400W Bronze (can't remember exact model)

I'm thinking it maybe the VGA card itself? Really baffles me how it works when the system is overclocked (not the VGA card) :confused:
It is an easier option for me as I purchased that from Amazon and there returns are great! Then maybe I'll get the Asus equivlant for the extra £20~£30.

Also..... I've seen a few similar issues on the net which suspect the PSU after doing all the donkey work (reseating ram and so on) but nothing definitive.

Nate152
I don't think it's your gpu causing the problem.

I would first try a quality psu rated gold or higher. Corsair makes quality psu's, if you can get your hands on a gold rated one or better that would be what I'd try next.

In the meantime you can try setting the bios to defaults and let the ram at 1333/1600 MHz, whatever defaults sets it to to see if you still get code 15.

It may not be the psu and maybe you can hone in on the problem, I'm not 100% sure at this point. I'd hate for you to go get a new psu and still have the problem.

You can also run memtest86 to test the stability of your ram. Gonna have to try a few things to see if you can find what is causing code 15.

zeussalmighty
Level 7
It's only when I run defaults that I get the problem.

I'll run mem test later tonight and see how that goes, I think it should be ok as a prime test on overclocks been fine.

Nate152
All right

You could also try reseating the cpu and when remounting your cpu cooler just make it snug, do not over tighten it.