cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Windows 8 have a feature to back up an entire installation?

falkenjeff
Level 7
What exactly does "system restore" do now? (I haven't used it for years). Does it back up all programs, registry, etc, and then restore them EXACTLY how they were before? Does it ignore normal files that aren't "installed programs" (eg: documents)

And if it doesn't work the way I want it to, what are good alternatives? (And did my 751JM come with anything pre-loaded that will do it?)

3rd question: the recovery partition on these machines restores it to factory defaults, right? (The way it was out of the box)
4 REPLIES 4

hmscott
Level 12
falkenjeff wrote:
What exactly does "system restore" do now? (I haven't used it for years). Does it back up all programs, registry, etc, and then restore them EXACTLY how they were before? Does it ignore normal files that aren't "installed programs" (eg: documents)
And if it doesn't work the way I want it to, what are good alternatives? (And did my 751JM come with anything pre-loaded that will do it?)
3rd question: the recovery partition on these machines restores it to factory defaults, right? (The way it was out of the box)

falkenjeff, I wouldn't bother with the Windows 8.x tools for OS backup, you want to use the Asus Backtracker tool to backup the Asus Recovery partition OS build - complete with OS tunings and apps.

there are lots of threads in the G751 / G750 forums about using Asus Backtracker to create a USB 3.0 16GB bootable flash recovery drive.

Here is a good review of info:

Where can i order the recovery disk?
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58483-Where-can-i-order-the-recovery-disk&p=480425&viewful...

You would do well to invest a few days time reading through all the G751 forum, and much of the G750 forum, to find all the good info on your laptop / Windows 8.1. Most all questions and useful solutions have already been posted, many times, by many helpful G751/G750 owners. Finding those first saves everyone time, and gives you a good historical background on which to base your knowledge.

If you want to find out how to use the Windows tools, I would go to the source and find the details there:

How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Backup and Restore
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/backup-and-restore

Have fun 🙂

verachen
Level 7
falkenjeff wrote:

I don't use windows built-in backup utility to do system backup and restore, because i think its function is not powerful and not clear. So i choose a third backup software, aomei backupper, or genie backup, both ok. Maybe the professional backup tool can meet your need well in file backup, system backup, partition backup, disk backup and restore etc. Recommend to you. Hope it can provide a little help.:D

Clintlgm
Level 14
I can assure you that Macrium Reflect can Image your drives for free and do file and folder back up if you want to pay. Seem to be best of the best for a while now.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Medicius
Level 7
I use System image backup (Windows tool) and it performed perfectly well. If you are running on Windows 8, you can google on the internet how to schedule System image backup in Windows 8. It`s easy, reliable and it works for me.