cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JM: Remove and install new RAM

Falco_II
Level 7
Has anyone removed the existing RAM ( in my case 4GB (x2) ? I have tried to remove the back cover, removed all the screws and found that I cannot remove the cover. I plan to install 32GB but need to get to the two existing sticks buried deep in the unit.
Is there a video or instructions out there to help me. It seems replacing the RAM is the easiest part, but trying to get to it is a bit harder. I really don't want to have to take this to someone. Thanks for any help or direction
8 REPLIES 8

Swarmy
Level 8
I believe that getting to that ram will void your warranty, to get to it you have to remove the keyboard, let me see if I can find a video on how to do it...

http://forum.techinferno.com/asus/8826-asus-g751-disassembly-repaste-bad-oc-fix.html

Here is a guide on how to do it, cant seem to find that video.

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Unfortunately the two memory banks under the keyboard require a lot more work since the top assembly of the chassis needs to be removed. Kudos to Swarmy for the find on the TI forum. 🙂

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Thanks for your reply's and the direction. Maybe if i am successful at this I'll post a video

FJRmann
Level 7
there is a single screw holding the removable cover in place. no need to take the back completely off of the machine.
download the manual here for the G751JM, go the chapter 5. there's no need to post a video.
http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JM/HelpDesk_Manual/

Swarmy & ProStar: Since I'm in there should I do a re-paste on the cpu & gpu. I understand that they are solider to he mobo but I should be able to remove the heat sinks, or should I even be concerned with the oem paste? If I can bring down the temp with a re-paste I can only think it would help.

Swarmy
Level 8
Have you ran test and looked at your temps? Under stress load my cpu hits 82 max, and gpu is even lower so in my case I am not going to worry about repaste. However if you are getting close to 94 degrees under load then you might want to consider a repaste. That is just my opinion.

Did run a test and temp is only 82 to 83 under stress. Maybe I will still do a repaste just to see if I can drop the temp a bit, and if it doesn't....well now I know. Thanks for the help Swarmy

thethirdnut
Level 7
Question for you folks. I am looking to buy the G751JM-DH71-CA which comes with 12 GB RAM, 1 TB 7k2 HDD, etc.

I need 16 GB+ for my intended use. Is the unit mentioned in the OP of the 12 GB RAM variety? If so how is this RAM distributed - are there 2 x 4 GB DIMMs under the keyboard + another 4 GB under the main panel or how is this setup?

I'd like to order upgraded RAM ahead of time, but am in the dark as to how things are currently configured.

TIA