cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acceptable DDR4 voltage

Grestorn
Level 8
I've been playing around with the preset settings in the BIOS' DRAM timing tweaking section.

According to the IC Analyzer procedure, I'm supposed to have Samsung ICs (is that likely? My DDR4 modules are these: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M4A2800C16)

What I'm wondering though is that the voltage listed in the presets for Samsung is at least 1.5V, some even 1.65V. I had the impression that it could be dangerous using more than 1.35V for the DDR4, especially since the MC is integrated in Haswell-E - and I've read about fried i7 CPUs and X99 boards, allegedly caused by too much DDR4 voltage.

Are these presets save to use? At least for benchmarking, and maybe even for 24/7?
Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - PNY RTX 3090
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-
4 REPLIES 4

Radeson
Level 7
These presets are likely for DDR3 RAM. I would do more research before using those voltages. So far the only DDR4 voltages I have seen is 1.2-1.35 usually. 1.5 is usually for extreme overclocks and I heard only hynix chips fare well at that voltage. Im no expert, but I definitely would not run the voltages past 1.35 max until you get a complete confirmation from one of the ASUS guys around here....

Radeson wrote:
These presets are likely for DDR3 RAM. I would do more research before using those voltages. So far the only DDR4 voltages I have seen is 1.2-1.35 usually. 1.5 is usually for extreme overclocks and I heard only hynix chips fare well at that voltage. Im no expert, but I definitely would not run the voltages past 1.35 max until you get a complete confirmation from one of the ASUS guys around here....

The profiles on the R5E are not for DDR3. They are for benchmarking fanatics who want a quick setup. The voltages used are those Shamino found to work well to get the most from the DIMMs. The profiles are not for 24/7 use.

Chino
Level 15
For 24/7 use, you shouldn't go over 1.35V. If you're into benchmarking, 1.5V is acceptable for short benching sessions. Going over 1.5V is dangerous and you do so at your own risk.

Grestorn
Level 8
Thank you all for clearing that up! Very much appreciated.
Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - PNY RTX 3090
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-