cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2x ASUS RAIDR in Raid0 vs g.skill Phoenix Blade?

Evo
Level 7
Hey there!

I actually was about to buy a ASUS RAIDR but now I've seen the G.Skill Phoenix Blade. Simple question, what performance can I expect if i put two ASUS RAIDR in a Raid 0?
3 REPLIES 3

Praz
Level 13
Hello

PCIe drives are not RAIDable.

Korth
Level 14
These two PCIe SSDs achieve their performance through integrated RAID striping across multiple discrete SSD units anyhow. A pair/trio/quad of SATA SSDs in RAID0 could provide similar performance at similar price - without using PCIe slots/lanes (which might be better used by GPU cards) and with the advantage of modular scalability (meaning initial cost can be defrayed and the array can be upgraded at any time by adding more SSDs later, and meaning that failed SSDs can be replaced/removed individually rather than losing the entire indivisible all-or-nothing unit).

The Phoenix Blade is actually a Suzhou CoreRise Comay BladeDrive G24 Commercial SSD which G.Skill markets as an OEM partner. If you are willing to forsake G.Skill's branding (and G.Skill's very attractive black heatsink), you could gain much faster performance with the Suzhou CoreRise Comay BladeDrive E28 Enterprise SSD (which CoreRise equips with an efficient but very ordinary heatsink). It is difficult to purchase CoreRise products through consumer channels.

Edit:
It seems doubtful that a company like CoreRise would normally offer products with black PCBs and components. Unless perhaps Asus commissioned an OEM/ODM run of ROG-engineered ROG-styled CoreRise "RAIDR Blade" cards? Oh yeah, I'd buy one, I might even buy a few!
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

X-ROG
Level 15
Phoenix Blade will be faster, or an M.2 drive on PCIe x4 slot like XP941 or SM951 for example.