cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP only 8gb ram recognized by windows with 16gb installed

Radeson
Level 7
Hello,

I am freaking out. I was just doing some overclocking and I was pushing my pc a little hard. When I got done i went into Advanced warfare and was loading multiplayer. It got halfway done with loading the map and the system froze up with the error msg that My system didnt have enough memory. It is only recognizing 8gb in task mngr. It says 2 out of 8 slots are used. But in CPU-z it says I have 16gb??? PLEASE HELP. I hope I didnt fry something.....

11 REPLIES 11

Radeson
Level 7
So I rebooted with only the left 2 red slots occupied and it only recognized 4gb or one slot. I then shut down and went into BIOS again. This time I turned everthing to stock settings and rebooted with all 4 DIMMS installed. It did recognize all 16gb this time. BUT when I went in and tried to enable the 3000mhz XMP profile again it only saw 12gb or 3 of 4 dimms. I dont know where to start. This system is brand new and I would hate to send it back.

Chino
Level 15

Radeson
Level 7
Ive never had this problem. And ive booted a hundred times with XMP with no problems. IDK if its windows??? OR the memory controller possibly??
I will try to do what you said chino. As of right now its on the 3000 XMP and only 3 of 4 dimms are recognized. Iried the 2800 and it was fine. this is with everything else on auto

Radeson
Level 7
OK i tried setting up the ram manually. I pretty much copied the XMP profile. NO LUCK. I did notice that the CHA column was all zeros; see screen shot. I am totally lost on this and I just wish I would've left it alone when i had it stable at 4.375ghz.

Chino
Level 15

Radeson
Level 7
My cpu Crashed with an error code saying not enough memory. Not bsod, but like a flashing unresponsive black screen that I could hardly get my mouse to the OK button. But the crazy thing is its working normal again. I have no Idea what did it. It only does it when the OC is too high.

Also Chino, If you look in the screenshot in post 5 you will see that bios isnt picking up CHA either... I rebooted a few times and switched some things around, and now its working. seemed to only happen with 3000xmp (or higher settings) I did happen at the rated 2800mhz XMP also though. Ive seen it say 1 dimm, 2 , and 3. This is the weirdest thing.

Also, I am going to be getting a new 5960x this week. What are the chances you think that I will get a better CPU than I have now? I mean from looking at the average since release. And considering I cant do anything above 4.4 W/o 1.4+volts (IDK if it even goes over 4.4 bc ive never tried over 1.4v, Im too scared I'll fry something. And anything 4.4+ bsods on me no matter what voltage)

Radeson wrote:

Also, I am going to be getting a new 5960x this week. What are the chances you think that I will get a better CPU than I have now?

In the silicon lottery, things can go either way. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best. 🙂

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The missing stick of memory is failing training because of instability. Redial the overclock for stability or reduce the memory speed till all sticks are properly detected.

Radeson
Level 7
It seems to be working now. i was tweaking the blck earlier and I think it had some kind of residual effect or something. Even when I set it back to 3000 xpm and then 2800xmp.... hmmmm

Also I did try to OC it to 3200 and It only saw 1 dimm. (4gb) This kind of stuff makes me scared to OC