cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 hitching hitching hitching hitching hitching hitching

Northforge
Level 8
Backstory/Symptoms:
Picked up a G751JY-DH73 on February 24th.
- Hitching/Stuttering (plugged in) in both online and offline games, every game, steam and non-steam games, SSD and Non-SSD game install locations.
Tested: unmodded Skyrim, Champions Online, Aion, Star Citizen, Borderlands 2

Exchanged for another G751JY-DH73 on March 4th.
- Hitching/Stuttering (plugged in) in both online and offline games.
Tested: unmodded Skyrim, Aion, Star Citizen, Borderlands 2, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Hawken.

Gaming hangs on the same frame and then resumes but doesn't display the expected flow and animations. Drops 1 fps and a heavy chug occurs but then goes up two fames, and then back down one fps.
(75, 75, 75, 75, 74 (feels like 10fps), 76, 75, 75, 75, 75, 75)

Overclocking:
Nope! Once this laptop runs unmodded Skyrim at 1024x768 stable with no hitching, I'll try overclocking.

Recourse:
Searched ROG forums, Searched Asus forums, Searched NVidia forums, Tested various GPU drivers, Spoke with Asus livechat, Spoke with NVidia livechat, exchanged laptops at vendor (Canada Computers), exact same problem persists.
Last time I exchanged the laptop. Since Asus and NVidia can't identify cause or provide solution, this time I'm just returning this laptop .. again. G74SX 560M 3GB (3 years old) DOMINATES over the G751 980M 4GB. Confused? Me too. It should not take over 100 hours of config/testing/googling/Q&A/techsupport/livechats/etc. (per laptop) to end horrific performance and to get it to function as intended.

UPDATES:
- Uninstalled McAfee. Tested.
- Set my firewall correctly. Tested.
- Disabled firewall. Tested.
- Ran windows updates until I was blue in the face.
- Updated every relative intel component updates.
- Updated wifi/ethernet updates. (not connected to wifi)
- Ran Asus updater. No updates found.
- Disabled pagefile. Tested.
- Enabled pagefile (sysmanaged). Tested.
- Set pagefile to 1024-4096. Tested.
- Installed NVidia's latest. Tested.
- Installed NVidia's older drivers. Tested.
- Uninstalled ROG Game First. Tested.
- Disabled GeForce BatteryBoost. Tested.
- Uninstalled GeForce Experience. Tested.
- Set High Performance power settings properly. Tested.
- Turned off indexer. Tested.
- Manually updated realtek drivers. Tested.
- Swapped game install directories across D, E, and F drives. Tested.
- Installed GPU-Z. Tested. (Max GPU load never exceeded 44%)
- Ran 3DMark Skydiver. Did not see any hitching or other problems.*
- Ran 3DMark Ice Storm Extreme. Did not see any hitching or other problems.*
- Uninstalled Nvidia 3D
- Uninstalled Nvidia Miracast
- Uninstalled Asus Webstorage
- Uninstalled OneDrive (disabled all settings)
- Uninstalled Apple (everything)
- Uninstalled Asus LiveUpdate
- Uninstalled Asus Virtual Camera
- Uninstalled Cyberlink Media Story
- Uninstalled Intel Driver Update utility
- Uninstalled Intel Processor Diagnostic tool
- Uninstalled 3DMark
- Set pagefile (1024-8192 Drive E)

Current condition:
Problem- Still persists.
51 REPLIES 51

matrixleader
Level 8
I would return the laptop and buy a different brand! that's the only logical thing to do

matrixleader wrote:
I would return the laptop and buy a different brand! that's the only logical thing to do

Thank you. I don't disagree that is good advice. In terms of troubleshooting, what would you attempt?

insiZion1
Level 8
Can you be a little more specific please. Is this happening on all games online/offline?

insiZion1 wrote:
Can you be a little more specific please. Is this happening on all games online/offline?

Yes, this is happening offline (Skyrim, Shadowrun: Dragonfall) as well as online (Borderlands 2, Dragon Nest, Star Citizen, etc.) across two brand new G751's, with Star Citizen the only one installed to 😧 and steam reinstalled to E: ruling out performance to preferential SSD/HDD drives.

matrixleader
Level 8
If you want to troubleshoot, then do this:

If you are using the ASUS drivers for your graphics card, then try drivers 344.75 they are the best I've benchmarked with all of them the latest ones suck.

If you are not using the ASUS Drivers and are actually using the latest nVIDIA ones, then roll back to the ASUS version of the nVIDIA Driver that is under your drivers download page for your particular model as that has been supposedly to work properly with your laptop.

Always ensure you select custom install, then choose Clean Installation

matrixleader wrote:
If you want to troubleshoot, then do this:

If you are using the ASUS drivers for your graphics card, then try drivers 344.75 they are the best I've benchmarked with all of them the latest ones suck.

If you are not using the ASUS Drivers and are actually using the latest nVIDIA ones, then roll back to the ASUS version of the nVIDIA Driver that is under your drivers download page for your particular model as that has been supposedly to work properly with your laptop.

Always ensure you select custom install, then choose Clean Installation

Currently using Asus drivers. As soon as I return home (a few hours from now) I will attempt NVidia 344.75, then the latest NVidia driver, and then roll back to all other NVidia drivers (which will be deja vu for me) I'm hopeful. Thank you for your help all. matrixleader I assume you have a G751JY as well? Did you encounter the same issue from fresh unbox/fresh install?

d0r1n
Level 7
344.75 and 345.2 are the last drivers that u can OC and is the most stable

d0r1n wrote:
344.75 and 345.2 are the last drivers that u can OC and is the most stable

I've never attempted to OC yet. No games that I have attempted require OCing for stability, and run fine on my 3 year old G74SX-DH72 16GB GTX560M 3GB.

344.75 attempted. Thought it was a success, however it was not. Naturally I'm auto-denying even after having experienced this with two G751's that it's a driver issue and not a defect produced on a mass scale. Gonna start uploading as much data from various scanning tools as I can. It must lead to a solution some way some how.