cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing SSD to my G751 JT , need help

katim2004
Level 7
hi guys

I just bought my new G751JT few days ago , best laptop i have ever had !

i wanna install my SSD 250 Gb , i have few questions :

do i need to replace my SSD with HDD ? to get better performance ?

do i need to change setting in BIOS ? AHCI or something?

can a beginner like me do it himself ? or should i go to some expert?

anything else i need to know before doing it ? im kinda scared i miss up my device , so i ask alot :))

thanks
11 REPLIES 11

katim2004
Level 7
btw i have g751 CH71

Clintlgm
Level 14
Download Macrium Reflect, Pull you hard drive out, install your SSD, hook up your hard drive VIA USB and clone your hard drive to your SSD. Macrium has all the direction on there web site.

Perhaps before you do this, download Asus Backtracker and create a restore to factory USB thumb drive.

You can also use this USB to restore to your newly installed SSD

The main differences are backtracker will always put your computer back to factory shipped state.
Macrium Reflect will bring you back to where you were when you made the Image or Clone
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

thank u guys for helping

Download Macrium Reflect, Pull you hard drive out, install your SSD, hook up your hard drive VIA USB and clone your hard drive to your SSD. Macrium has all the direction on there web site.

Perhaps before you do this, download Asus Backtracker and create a restore to factory USB thumb drive.

You can also use this USB to restore to your newly installed SSD

The main differences are backtracker will always put your computer back to factory shipped state.
Macrium Reflect will bring you back to where you were when you made the Image or Clone

All I did was put the hdd into secondary lot, rebooted the lappy to show it where primary boot drive is, then simply plopped ssd in the main slot and used macrium to create a 1:1 copy of partitions (shrinking the empty space) then take out the hdd while leaving the ssd in there and voila. Then reformat hdd and there you have your storage drive.

hi guys thanks for helping

I can use Samsung migration tool to clone my HDD content to SSD , without using Macrium Reflect ?

correct me if im wrong , i will clone my HDD to SSD using Samsung migration tool , then take out the HDD from the primary slot , install my SSD into the primary slot , finally install HDD to secondary slot .

if yes , will the windows boot from HDD or SSD ? should i change BIOS settings to force him to boot from SSD , at least until I format the HDD .

and do i need to set SATA configuration to AHCI in BIOS settings?

thank u again for helping

katim2004 wrote:
correct me if im wrong , i will clone my HDD to SSD using Samsung migration tool , then take out the HDD from the primary slot , install my SSD into the primary slot , finally install HDD to secondary slot .

I am planning to do something similar, but I was going to use the secondary slot for the SSD since that slot is SATA III-capable, whereas the primary slot is not (as far as I know :rolleyes: ). I have the Crucial MX100 512G SATA 3 SSD. I was planning to modify the BIOS to attempt to boot from the secondary drive bay first, then the drive bay which originally contained the HDD, then a USB port (if you can specify any USB port)...

I'm going to check out that Macrium thing...

Swarmy
Level 8
All I did was put the hdd into secondary lot, rebooted the lappy to show it where primary boot drive is, then simply plopped ssd in the main slot and used macrium to create a 1:1 copy of partitions (shrinking the empty space) then take out the hdd while leaving the ssd in there and voila. Then reformat hdd and there you have your storage drive.

Swarmy wrote:

Will the free version of Macrium do the trick or do you have to buy Home Edition? I'm basically planning to do the same thing as katim2004, replace the main drive with a Samsung 850 SSD and move the 1tb drive to the second slot. I also appreciate the info about using Backtracker to backup the restore partition. I assume the OS is on there since the system didn't come with any media backup.

Cygnus_X1 wrote:
Will the free version of Macrium do the trick or do you have to buy Home Edition? I'm basically planning to do the same thing as katim2004, replace the main drive with a Samsung 850 SSD and move the 1tb drive to the second slot. I also appreciate the info about using Backtracker to backup the restore partition. I assume the OS is on there since the system didn't come with any media backup.

yes , Asus backtracker will copy everything in the hidden recovery partition in your HDD , so u will have a clean copy of windows .

Swarmy
Level 8
I used the free version of Macrium.

And what I did was leave a single drive in the laptop, bios autodetects and sets it as the boot drive after first boot. So once I had everything copied over I pulled the 1tb out and rebooted to teach bios that SSD is the boot drive now, and then put the 1TB back in and wiped it.

Swarmy
Level 8
The primary slot is the one with m.2 connector AND sata 3 connection. That is where they put in the drive if you didnt get the ssd version. The secondary slot is only sata 2, so you do not want ssd in there.