Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array bloodruns4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    How do I get Windows 8.1 from HDD to SSD?

    So I just ordered a new SSD for my ASUS G75VW so I will have my 250GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. My question is how can I get Windows 8.1 from my HDD onto my SSD? I know Windows 8 is a pain when it comes to getting it installed on other computers. Will I have to buy a completely new product key? Any help or guides would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    19

    install the windows 10 technical preview and wait for it to come out, then it will be a free upgrade.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array bloodruns4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
    install the windows 10 technical preview and wait for it to come out, then it will be a free upgrade.
    That's actually what I was thinking and what I will probably do because it will be the easiest way. Windows 8 is so annoying with how it is installed and such. I get that they want to reduce piracy but it just makes it so hard for cases like this.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array toronto699 PC Specs
    toronto699 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752-VY-DH78K , G751-JYDH72X
    MotherboardRog Tytan G30AB
    Processori7-4770K
    Memory (part number)32GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Gold20th GTX980Ti
    Sound CardDell X-Fi Audigy SoundBlaster
    Monitor3 Acer K272HL
    Storage #1118 GB/OS
    Storage #22.72 TB
    CPU CoolerIntegrated Liquid-Cooled CPU
    CaseG30AB
    Power SupplyAsus 700 Watt
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse Razer Diamond Back
    Headset Sony Studio Professional , Razer Seiren Mic
    Mouse Pad Razer FireFly
    Headset/Speakers Logittech 5.1 Z-5500
    OS W 10
    Network RouterSagemon Fast 5250 Hub 2000

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Reputation
    96
    Posts
    2,536

    you don't need to buy a product key for W8 its in the bios, but W10 preview is the way to go much easier and works well so far on my asus laptop as dual boot , and 2 other pc's
    http://dellwindowsreinstallationguid...l-and-oem-iso/ just something of intrest

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array bloodruns4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by toronto699 View Post
    you don't need to buy a product key for W8 its in the bios, but W10 preview is the way to go much easier and works well so far on my asus laptop as dual boot , and 2 other pc's
    http://dellwindowsreinstallationguid...l-and-oem-iso/ just something of intrest

    Yeah windows 10 sounds like the route I'm going to take, seems like a much easier path.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    111
    Posts
    4,182

    You have two options. Macrium Reflect will image your hard drive or clone your hard drive to your new SSD. Just shrink your 1tb hard drive down to less than 256GB and clone.
    You can clean install win 8.1 update with an ISO from MS here If you need a guide to Clean install see these threads on Clean Install. Unless your really switched on with unstable OS I would avoid Win 10 for while yet at least until the release it to the manufactures

    If you set on installing window 10 see this forum dedicated to windows 10
    Last edited by Clintlgm; 02-22-2015 at 03:59 PM.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array bloodruns4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    You have two options. Macrium Reflect will image your hard drive or clone your hard drive to your new SSD. Just shrink your 1tb hard drive down to less than 256GB and clone.
    You can clean install win 8.1 update with an ISO from MS here If you need a guide to Clean install see these threads on Clean Install. Unless your really switched on with unstable OS I would avoid Win 10 for while yet at least until the release it to the manufactures

    If you set on installing window 10 see this forum dedicated to windows 10
    Good news! My University's dreamspark account allows me to get Windows 8.1 with a product key for free! So I will just be doing that

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    313

    I've used Macrium Reflect before, nice software.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •