cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Owners: What are your average GPU temperatures when not gaming?

JerJer123
Level 7
I'd like to know what are the average temperatures of the GPU for you guys when you're not gaming or doing anything that is GPU intensive.

For me, my GPU sits at around 50C - 55C when doing things like browsing the internet or even in an idle state. I am thinking that even those temps are a bit high for such little activity. I saw some say their GPU temps sit at around 35C to 40C when not doing much, so I am very curious if it's just me, or is this normal?

Would really love to hear from you guys, especially those that have a model with the 980M GPU.
8 REPLIES 8

Setoku
Level 8
Hey i have the 980m version and for me idle is around 30-40c im away and i dont have it with me i left it at home to torrent haha
give me a few days and i will get back to you on the current temps

HulkSmash
Level 8
I have a 970m. Sits around 40C in iddle

NitroX
Level 10
@JerJer123: Mine stays at 38-40C in idle, while the fan is running. Sometimes the fan turns off and it doesn't start until the GPU reaches 45C.

You should check your taskbar for any kind of software that might stress your GPU (example: video codecs). I actually had a moment of panic when I saw that while I was watching a movie my GPU temps were 50-55C but then I realised that I just installed madVR for Media Player Classic and that video renderer was stressing my GPU.

You should do like this: Restart your notebook ---> Close all apps in the taskbar (excepting antivirus, smart gesture, and other things that you are sure that aren't related to the GPU) ---> Check your temps after 5-10 mins and see if anything changes. If nothing changes then there might be a service that does that (if you have installed anything that could cause something like that), and you should search in the control panel --> programs and features ---> Uninstall Programs to see if you find anything unusual. Also, check the NVidia control panel to see if you have the "Adaptive" setting selected for "Global" tab.

XOIIO
Level 7
970m here, idling at 41C while watching 1080p youtube videos, max I've seen was 65 and that's with the GPU almost maxed out. CPU has hit 75 tops.

My room temperature has been around 20C.

JerJer123
Level 7
Oh wow, guys...those temps are low, compared to mine. I'm constantly at the 49 - 55 range and I'm not sure why.

My GPU Usage is 0 (I know because I use MSI Afterburner). Maybe I'm over thinking it, but whether I'm browsing the internet, or the laptop's just sitting there, it rarely every drops below 50 on low usage.

Maybe I should try to clean the vents? But the laptop's barely a month old, so I'm not sure that's the problem - and like I said, I don't even know if this is really a problem, or just me overreacting a bit.

NitroX
Level 10
Well, it is quite a problem since everybody has around 40C.

Check these things out:

1) Wet your hand a bit and put it in the back of the notebook to see if the fan is working or not (by feeling the air flow). The GPU is located on the right side of the notebook.

2) Check your NVIdia control panel and be sure you have "Adaptive" for the Power Management Mode. You can still have 0% GPU usage but if the frequencies are at max all the time, that could keep your GPU warm even at idle.

3) Do the thing with closing all other apps as I said earlier.

NitroX wrote:
Well, it is quite a problem since everybody has around 40C.

Check these things out:

1) Wet your hand a bit and put it in the back of the notebook to see if the fan is working or not (by feeling the air flow). The GPU is located on the right side of the notebook.

2) Check your NVIdia control panel and be sure you have "Adaptive" for the Power Management Mode. You can still have 0% GPU usage but if the frequencies are at max all the time, that could keep your GPU warm even at idle.

3) Do the thing with closing all other apps as I said earlier.

1. Didn't wet my hand, but I can feel air coming out.

2. It's set to Adapative. Is there a way to go about seeing which programs could be upping the frequencies? Does it even work like that?

3. Tried that, I managed to fall to maybe 49 but then it went back to steady 50/51.

Maybe it's my room temperature. When I'm at school in the library, I've seen the temp at around 47/48C when doing non graphic intensive stuff, so it may just be my room. Not trying to down play it, but not trying to say there's a huge problem. It would be nice if I could find a way to lower temps.

I saw the thread about the fan profile for the G751Jy...you think I should try getting that to see if cranking up the fan speed will help lower the temps some?

JerJer123
Level 7
***UPDATE***

It's amazing what driver updates can do. So I decided to try uninstall all my old video drivers, and reinstall the latest and there it was...

I'm sitting at 40C while typing this. A WHOPPING 10 degrees cooler than before. The highest I've seen the temps go is 45 when doing non gpu intensive things.

I am a happy camper! Keep your drivers up to date, people!