cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX, G750JH and M.2 SSD

deadeye92
Level 7
Hey there,

So ive done some digging on the forum and havent found a clear answer on this topic.
Ive gone ahead and gotten a corsair ssd with 90k iops r/w because frankly it seemed cool at the time (and because localized g750jx actually came without an ssd at the time) but i got a small one (128GB)
Naturally i saved it only for Win8, browsers, my Android SDK, Eclipse, Visual studio and.. bam, have the space for only 1 game to go there.

So, i dug on the net and found there is supposedly an m.2 slot in the g750jx, specifically type 2242.
http://stores.befr.ebay.be/Flexx-ram-Store/Samsung-XP941-PCIe-M-2-SSD.html

Before i go and disassemble my powerhouse and void my warranty (Does that void the warranty? if i want to go 32GB i need to take off the keyboard to access slot D),
Does the M.2 Slot exist on the g750jx like that retailer claims?
6 REPLIES 6

hmscott
Level 12
deadeye92 wrote:
Hey there,
So ive done some digging on the forum and havent found a clear answer on this topic.
Ive gone ahead and gotten a corsair ssd with 90k iops r/w because frankly it seemed cool at the time (and because localized g750jx actually came without an ssd at the time) but i got a small one (128GB)
Naturally i saved it only for Win8, browsers, my Android SDK, Eclipse, Visual studio and.. bam, have the space for only 1 game to go there.
So, i dug on the net and found there is supposedly an m.2 slot in the g750jx, specifically type 2242.
http://stores.befr.ebay.be/Flexx-ram-Store/Samsung-XP941-PCIe-M-2-SSD.html
Before i go and disassemble my powerhouse and void my warranty (Does that void the warranty? if i want to go 32GB i need to take off the keyboard to access slot D),
Does the M.2 Slot exist on the g750jx like that retailer claims?

deadeye92, no the JX doesn't have an M.2 SATA III slot inside. In that series of the JW/JX/JH only the JH came with a daughter card mounted in the left drive bay that could hold 2 x M.2 SATA III cards for a RAID0.

And, note I said an M.2 SATA III, they won't accept a drive as you linked above, a PCIE x4 M.2 - only the G751JY has that option.

That 2 x M.2 SATA III daughter card won't fit in another G750 won't fit in another G750 without modifications, and there aren't enough SATA III ports to run both M.2 drives on their own controller, so you don't get that 2x speed improvement. We have only seen one person post who tried.

The G750JZ also had a 2 x M.2 SATA III daughter board, and some models in that line JZ/JS/JM also had a 1x M.2 SATA III adapter as their SSD.

There are 1x M.2 SATA III / 2.5" adapters that can also be purchased and fit in the 2.4" bay, but there is no advantage over using a 2.5" SATA III drive, as most M.2 SATA III drives are slower in WRITE speed than the fastest 2.5" drive.

Good thing you asked before spending all that $ on a M.2 PCIE x4 drive you can't use 🙂

Thank you so much for your reply!
I knew the chances were low because frankly i didnt see listing of said extension format on any spec listing of g750jx i scoured on the net.

So, if i understand correctly the picture above also represents your setup? (sort of, since you run the ssds in raid 0). The fact you run on a single SATA III slot impairs performance somehow?

hmscott wrote:

That 2 x M.2 SATA III daughter card won't fit in another G750 won't fit in another G750 without modifications, and there aren't enough SATA III ports to run both M.2 drives on their own controller, so you don't get that 2x speed improvement.

The G750JZ also had a 2 x M.2 SATA III daughter board, and some models in that line JZ/JS/JM also had a 1x M.2 SATA III adapter as their SSD.

There are 1x M.2 SATA III / 2.5" adapters that can also be purchased and fit in the 2.4" bay, but there is no advantage over using a 2.5" SATA III drive, as most M.2 SATA III drives are slower in WRITE speed than the fastest 2.5" drive.

=?
1. Performance is impaired due to adapter overhead + drives being slower than mid-high end ssds (like my corsair neutron GS hopefully)
2. Raid 0 in this config is better than a single high end ssd? (I gather not)
3. The 1x M.2 SATA III adapter is useless, better buy a SATA III ssd.

deadeye92 wrote:
Thank you so much for your reply!
I knew the chances were low because frankly i didnt see listing of said extension format on any spec listing of g750jx i scoured on the net.

So, if i understand correctly the picture above also represents your setup? (sort of, since you run the ssds in raid 0). The fact you run on a single SATA III slot impairs performance somehow?

=?
1. Performance is impaired due to adapter overhead + drives being slower than mid-high end ssds (like my corsair neutron GS hopefully)
2. Raid 0 in this config is better than a single high end ssd? (I gather not)
3. The 1x M.2 SATA III adapter is useless, better buy a SATA III ssd.

deadeye92, the JH/JZ with RAID0 actually has an extra SATA III controller to support 2 x SATA III controllers for the RAID0, so even with the low end 2 x 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD's, the combined performance through 2 controllers is as good or better than PCIE x4, at least the first generation - the 2nd generation will be 1.6GB-2.2GB / sec, which is much faster - It will be awesome on the new Chipset controllers with more PCIE lanes available to allow a 2 x RAID0 PCIE x4 🙂

Here is what I get with the 2 x 128GB M.2 SATA III RAID0 with Intel RST configured for WRITE back cache.

Here is the performance with 1x Samsung 840 Pro 512GB in Bay 2 SATA IIII

I think some have done 2 x 2.5" SATA III SSD's, the BIOS should let you set it up, that would give you even faster performance with the best 2.5" SSD's 🙂

If you give it try, please let us know how it works out!

Those stats are off the charts my friend!
Mine are inferior by far, but then again, at this point i suppose im just too busy to bother with it.

Its kind of hard to imagine such differences on basically a faulty configuration on my part. my writes are twice as low as yours. Guess i need to do my homework better..

Thanks for the reference points, and heres the stats for LOLs47368

deadeye92 wrote:
Those stats are off the charts my friend!
Mine are inferior by far, but then again, at this point i suppose im just too busy to bother with it.
Its kind of hard to imagine such differences on basically a faulty configuration on my part. my writes are twice as low as yours. Guess i need to do my homework better..
Thanks for the reference points, and heres the stats for LOLs

deadeye92, the smaller the SSD, the slower the read/write speed, at least for previous generations, the new stuff coming out has made an effort to keep essentially the same performance across each size in the model range.

Check reviews and performance tests on the new stuff coming before selecting.

I also use PerfectDisk to optimize, first manually via SMARTPlacement and then on automatic as SSDOptimize.

30 day trial
http://www.raxco.com/home/products/perfectdisk-pro

I ended up buying it 🙂

Optimizing helps get maximum performance. If I leave it be, uninstall PerfectDisk and don't optimize, after a month or so the speeds start dropping... and continue to drop until I re-optimize.

And, with these tests results, we don't need to worry about lots of writes, at least with these models/brands 🙂

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Two freaking petabytes
The survivors soldier on to another really big number
http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

Have fun 🙂

hmscott If i was to get the a 1x M.2 SATA III adapter and HyperX Predator M.2 2280 240GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4 ssd.
This will not work since its a x4 in my G750JM because the controller will not work with x4 type M.2 ssd is that what you were referring to?

I really wanted to get the adapter for my laptop and a M.2 ssd. I have raid setting in the bios im assuming its for the 2 hdd bays combined like normal and not for one bay to control the 1 adapter and 2 M.2's correct? Please help if you can.
Im pretty sure thats what your saying but just to clarify. Thank you.