Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    G752VT / VR Ready / XG2 Station 2 Inquiry.

    Friends, i have a question for the ROG thinktank. First, my setup.


    -ASUS ROG G752VT

    -Intel i7 6700HQ

    -Nvidia GTX970M

    -Up to date Bios, Updates, and Clean Windows 10 Install on a Samsung PM951 PCIe SSD


    After a recent Driver update from Nvidia, it checked to see if my computer is "VR Ready", and it looks like it falls just out of range because of the fact that you need a GTX980M in order to run anything VR on a Gaming Laptop. So, i was a little bummed out, but then i found an article about a device that would ideally be coming out soon.


    http://unlocked.newegg.com/asus-rog-...018a62d6991df8


    The XG2 Docking Station would allow me to connect to it my G752VT, and give me the extra Graphics ability i need in order to have it so my Laptop is "VR Ready".


    What i wanted to ask simply was that am i getting this right? Would getting my hands on this docking station, the necessary graphics card, and connecting it to this Laptop of mine allow me to obtain the extra graphical resources needed in order to use a VR Headset? Also, i'm aware that there might be a potential USB slot shortage, but i would find a workaround.


    I'd appreciate any feedback.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array toronto699 PC Specs
    toronto699 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752-VY-DH78K , G751-JYDH72X
    MotherboardRog Tytan G30AB
    Processori7-4770K
    Memory (part number)32GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Gold20th GTX980Ti
    Sound CardDell X-Fi Audigy SoundBlaster
    Monitor3 Acer K272HL
    Storage #1118 GB/OS
    Storage #22.72 TB
    CPU CoolerIntegrated Liquid-Cooled CPU
    CaseG30AB
    Power SupplyAsus 700 Watt
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse Razer Diamond Back
    Headset Sony Studio Professional , Razer Seiren Mic
    Mouse Pad Razer FireFly
    Headset/Speakers Logittech 5.1 Z-5500
    OS W 10
    Network RouterSagemon Fast 5250 Hub 2000

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Reputation
    73
    Posts
    2,364

    Last edited by toronto699; 03-31-2016 at 02:54 AM.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Here is my beef. Even today they are advertising the G752 line as being "VR Ready" when in every way it is not. This was part of my decision making process for purchasing my G752VT. More than a little steamed ... YES.

    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ROG-G752VT/

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Post

    I had seen the first, but i believe watching the second video spoon fed me the connection between that Smaller ASUS Laptop that has the same Processor as my G752VT (6700HQ), was in fact connected with the 2 side 3.1 USB Ports, with the monitor extended onto the monitor seen there, and re-emphasized the fact that the XG2 also acts as a USB Hub, which would eliminate the potential future problem of not being able to have as many USB Ports as needed for a VR Headset. This very much answers my question and i'm excited to see when this product would come out so i can get my hands on it, and a VR headset, to have some serious fun.


  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by Delphic View Post
    Here is my beef. Even today they are advertising the G752 line as being "VR Ready" when in every way it is not. This was part of my decision making process for purchasing my G752VT. More than a little steamed ... YES.

    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ROG-G752VT/
    Technically it's not wrong. The Link that page goes to does describe the G752VT, but if you read carefully it does NOT specify which GTX card it comes with, which leaves it open for whichever the consumer picks up. The G752VT comes with both a GTX970M and a GTX980M. The 980 is needed, so technically, they're not falsely advertising. But i totally get your beef. But its a good thing this XG2 could be available to give you that extra boost you need, and me as well!

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenthusiast View Post
    Technically it's not wrong. The Link that page goes to does describe the G752VT, but if you read carefully it does NOT specify which GTX card it comes with, which leaves it open for whichever the consumer picks up. The G752VT comes with both a GTX970M and a GTX980M. The 980 is needed, so technically, they're not falsely advertising. But i totally get your beef. But its a good thing this XG2 could be available to give you that extra boost you need, and me as well!
    Except if you go to Nvidia's page and check the specs the GTX980M is not considered to be VR ready either (small print bottom of the page)

    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/tech...m-requirements

    "*GeForce GTX 970M and 980M do not meet the minimum requirements"

    The GTX 980M is the mobile version of the GTX 980 and is not an equivalent card.

    Only the liquid cooled G700 comes with a GTX 980. So I think I am completely accurate in calling it false advertising. Non of the G752 systems meet the requirements for VR ready.
    Last edited by Delphic; 03-31-2016 at 10:15 PM.

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array toronto699 PC Specs
    toronto699 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752-VY-DH78K , G751-JYDH72X
    MotherboardRog Tytan G30AB
    Processori7-4770K
    Memory (part number)32GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Gold20th GTX980Ti
    Sound CardDell X-Fi Audigy SoundBlaster
    Monitor3 Acer K272HL
    Storage #1118 GB/OS
    Storage #22.72 TB
    CPU CoolerIntegrated Liquid-Cooled CPU
    CaseG30AB
    Power SupplyAsus 700 Watt
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse Razer Diamond Back
    Headset Sony Studio Professional , Razer Seiren Mic
    Mouse Pad Razer FireFly
    Headset/Speakers Logittech 5.1 Z-5500
    OS W 10
    Network RouterSagemon Fast 5250 Hub 2000

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Reputation
    73
    Posts
    2,364

    SteamVR Performance Test
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by Delphic View Post
    Except if you go to Nvidia's page and check the specs the GTX980M is not considered to be VR ready either (small print bottom of the page)

    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/tech...m-requirements

    "*GeForce GTX 970M and 980M do not meet the minimum requirements"

    The GTX 980M is the mobile version of the GTX 980 and is not an equivalent card.

    Only the liquid cooled G700 comes with a GTX 980. So I think I am completely accurate in calling it false advertising. Non of the G752 systems meet the requirements for VR ready.

    Oh damn. You're right on the money. It is false advertising then. That sucks. :/

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Yup and you will notice after I filed a formal complaint they changed the website.

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array navis995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Reputation
    50
    Posts
    296

    980M is VR ready if you have your expectation realistic. Its power is as strong as desktop 770. Meaning it can run VR but probably not everything maxed out. I don't know why would you say that it is not.
    Asus Rog G750JZ
    Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.0Ghz @ -70mV)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +70Mhz Core, +400Mhz Memory @ 1.000V)
    RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
    Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
    Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
    Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •