cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot type in UEFI password

D_S_O_
Level 7
I have decided to use the admin password and ended up with inaccessible UEFI.

It is not a case of the forgotten pass. The system does not accept characters typed on my keyboard - Logitech G910.
The keyboard is active (lights on) and connected to the USB2 Port at the rear.

I can press F2 or Del to get the password request, but no further input from the keyboard is accepted.

Does any of you experienced this problem?
9 REPLIES 9

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi D.S.O.
Try clearing CMOS back to default Bios Values. When you access Bios make sure you are configured correctly.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Clearing the CMOS does not help... It means I can access its settings, but straight after setting the password, restarting, and trying to enter UEFI again, I cannot type in the password.

What do you mean by "...configured correctly.."

What sort of configuration errors you have in mind?

Chino
Level 15

D_S_O_
Level 7
Yes, the same effect on all ports. I will borrow the keyboard from a friend tomorrow and test it.

Chino
Level 15

MeanMachine
Level 13
Well, From your explanation, It seems the Keyboard no longer functions once you restart, so if there is no fault with the Keyboard, then the fault must be in the Bios itself or try another USB port.
Can you get hold of another keyboard, Maybe a PS2 to see if the issue remains.
You could try a Bios update which is 1302, or try not setting a password to see if you are able to access your OS.
I am not aware of any special requirement for your Logitech G910, so it should work.

I am also unable to find your issue specific on the net.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Saltgrass
Level 13
Try moving your mouse also. Do a cold boot. I have seen such problems and it seems to be related to the keyboard port or USB port in general. Changing the keyboard may have an effect depending to the exact problem.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Chino
Level 15
Started my testing with the keyboard in a USB 2.0 port and everything works just fine. I was able to enter the admin password when asked. Proceeded to connect the keyboard to a USB 3.0 port and there was no problem either. This was on BIOS 1201.

Cleared my CMOS. Then updated the BIOS to the latest 1302 revision. Set a new admin password. This time I started with the keyboard in the USB 3.0 port and there were no issues. Connected it back so the USB 2.0 port and it all worked.

So I definately think your keyboard is the cause of your problem. For the record, I was using a cheap $14 Logitech K120 for my tests. lol Not as fancy as your Logitech G910. 😛

Big thanks to all involved here.
I was able to test the system with another keyboard - also Logitech, but G19 (no external power supplied) this time. Guess what..., all works fine.

However, please note that G910 is working when the OS booted up. The keys stopped responding after F2 was pressed to get to the password entry screen in UEFI. I just wonder if there is anyone here with G910 to verify if it is just my keyboard or there is an incompatibility issue, which I am willing to accept.

Thanks again for the participation in this thread.