cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW..what's wrong with my video card?

Hesediel
Level 7
Hello ROG Forum, I am a new member from Italy so I apologise beforehand if my written English is not perfect.

I am new to Asus and gaming, and I have purchased a G75VW last january. So far I am loving it.

There is, however, a problem with -probably- the video card and since I have no idea what it could be I figured i'd ask here.

Sometimes the video card colors are showing as sort of "striped", kinda broken, and I really don't even know how to describe it perfectly so Im just gonna attatch two uploaded screenshots here.

Regular screen and color: as you can see here, the black shades are perfectly fine and "smooth"
http://i.imgur.com/8XkFq9B.jpg

This is the problem that sometimes occurs:
http://i.imgur.com/BO3BcIO.jpg
The colors are not smooth, there's "choppy" parts with lines and stuff.

I really dont even know how to almost explain this but if you need extra informations I will provide the best I can.

The video card and it's driver are: Geforce GTX 670M - 3GB - ver. 347.52 updated today

What could it be and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks everyone for your support!

P.S. I hope this is the appropriate forum section, if its not I apologise for my mistake but its my first time posting here
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
Is it specific programs or everything including your desktop wallpaper? Some programs (like driver installations) have low color depth to be more compatible. If it's specific programs then it might be the program itself causing it. For Windows, make sure the color depth is 32 bit.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hesediel
Level 7
Hey xero thanks for your reply.
When this problem happens it affects the whole screen, not only videogames or the wallpaper.

Windows's color depth is setted at 32bit (16,8 millions of colors)

xeromist
I would do a clean installation of the video card driver.

By January you mean 2 months ago or 14 months? If only 2 months you should have no problem getting warranty support. I would do that next.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hesediel
Level 7
Alright I'll do a clean installation of the video card drivers and see if it happens again.

Unfortunately this laptop was already used and out of warranty, I bought it in January and it was purchased more than 2 years ago. However so far it dididnt seem to have any issue so I'm optimistic!
Thanks for your help, Im gonna update both in case its fixer or its not yet.

xeromist
Worst case scenario you should be able to acquire a replacement GPU from another G75. I know that doesn't sound nice but it's better than chucking the whole laptop.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Not sure if this will make any difference, but if you have an easy way to connect an external monitor, you may want to make sure the problem occurs there too before going after the GPU or software.

Otherwise, if the problem only shows up on the notebook screen and not the external monitor, there could be some issue the notebook LCD itself, LCD cable, or connection, but seems more likely a GPU or software issue.