cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help recovery partition erased all data from my second HD

skyline82
Level 7
I can't believe it!

After having problems with windows 8.1, where it was running slow and not letting me access windows settings, I've used ASUS backtracker to restore my factory defaults using a USB stick. I have the G750JX with 2 separate 500Gb HD's(which has a two partitions on each HD, giving me four drives in total), I thought that the factory defaults would only effect my OS partition but it has wiped my data from all my drives.

What are my options here? Is it possible to retrieve my data from my secondary HD? I've not wrote anything to i yet.

I should have disconnected the bloody secondary HD before restoring as a precaution.
4 REPLIES 4

hmscott
Level 12
skyline82 wrote:
I can't believe it!
After having problems with windows 8.1, where it was running slow and not letting me access windows settings, I've used ASUS backtracker to restore my factory defaults using a USB stick. I have the G750JX with 2 separate 500Gb HD's(which has a two partitions on each HD, giving me four drives in total), I thought that the factory defaults would only effect my OS partition but it has wiped my data from all my drives.
What are my options here? Is it possible to retrieve my data from my secondary HD? I've not wrote anything to i yet.
I should have disconnected the bloody secondary HD before restoring as a precaution.

skyline82, sorry to hear that. I don't think it is recoverable. When the restore program starts, it repartitions any drives it finds internally (I also disconnect external storage just in case), and starts the restore. Since it made 2 partitions on the 2nd bay drive it did overwrite data on top of reformatting. Some recovery programs might find something, but it is unlikely it can recover everything. I don't have a recovery program recommendation, it has been a long time since I have needed one.

I do put that warning in all my posts on Asus Backtracker, remove internal drives and don't restore to your original drive - if the restore fails you can lose the ability to make another recovery flash drive with Asus Backtracker, and you will lose the data on the 2nd Bay drive if you leave it in during the restore.

Please come back and let us know how the recovery went, good luck 🙂

Wow! I'm surprised there isn't any warning on the software info pages. I din't expect it to wipe all my HD's.

Thanks for your reply though.

I'm trying "mini tool partition recovery", "testdisk", and if they fail, "recova".

Fingers crossed!

skyline82 wrote:
Wow! I'm surprised there isn't any warning on the software info pages. I din't expect it to wipe all my HD's.

Thanks for your reply though.

I'm trying "mini tool partition recovery", "testdisk", and if they fail, "recova".

Fingers crossed!

Good luck! (Not being sarcastic there.) As long as the drive wasn't "wiped" (which is not the same as "formatted," despite how much people use the terms interchangeably), then you may be able to recover things that were not heavily overwritten or damaged.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

GottiBoi55
Level 10
skyline82 wrote:
I can't believe it!

You can try this recovery software (The Freeware worked for me)>>>> Recuva/download

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"