cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4-way SLI + PCI-E SSD

Vega
Level 7
If I get four Titan-X's obviously all PCI-E 3.0 slots will be filled at 16x8x8x8x and the M.2 slot won't work (won't want to drop down the last 8x to 4x).

So that leaves the black PCIE_x4_1 slot for an SSD. Now I understand with it disabling a lot of ports I don't need, I'd actually be able to get PCI-E 2.0 4x speed out of this slot for a PCI-E SSD according to the manual correct? I know it would be a bit unconventional, would I be able to boot the SSD from this slot? (does it act like any other PCI-E slot to be seen be UEFI for boot-able SSD)?
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hello Vega

I don't think you can use a pcie ssd with 4 titans as all 40 pcie lanes are used up.

Chino
Level 15
Vega wrote:
If I get four Titan-X's obviously all PCI-E 3.0 slots will be filled at 16x8x8x8x and the M.2 slot won't work (won't want to drop down the last 8x to 4x).

So that leaves the black PCIE_x4_1 slot for an SSD. Now I understand with it disabling a lot of ports I don't need, I'd actually be able to get PCI-E 2.0 4x speed out of this slot for a PCI-E SSD according to the manual correct? I know it would be a bit unconventional, would I be able to boot the SSD from this slot? (does it act like any other PCI-E slot to be seen be UEFI for boot-able SSD)?

It will not be possible.

Vega
Level 7
Nate, that black PCI-E 2.o slot works off of the PCH which get's it's bandwidth from DMI 2.0, not the 40 native lanes.

Chino, care yo elaborate why you don't think it would work? I have a feeling it might but maybe I'm missing something. 😉

Nate152
Looking at your board layout with 4 titans installed you only have a pcie x1 slot left and they don't make pcie x1 ssd's.

You'd have to get something like this which would defeat the purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Velocity-Performance-Upgrade-VEL-SOLO-X1/dp/B0090IA3AU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

Vega
Level 7
I don't care about the x1 slot, that get's disabled anyway. I'm referring to PCIE_X4_1 which is connected directly from the x99 PCH.

bob616
Level 7

Nate152
The only other slot is the big black pciex16 slot that can run in x16 x8 x4 mode and I'm pretty sure you can't use it with 4 titans.

bob616 wrote:
There is a similar discussion going on here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1510001/asus-rampage-v-extreme-owners-thread/4740

Ya, that was my question. Looks like Praz answered it. He has a PCI-E SSD working in the black slot.

Nate152 wrote:
The only other slot is the big black pciex16 slot that can run in x16 x8 x4 mode and I'm pretty sure you can't use it with 4 titans.

The black slot is physical 16x but wired PCI-E 2.0 4x to the PCH. It doesn't have any affect on the red (direct) PCI-E slots and hence no affect on 4x Titan-X's besides requiring water blocks due to spacing.

Nate152
Well that's cool then sorry for telling you wrong.

You're going to have one nice gaming machine with 4 titan x's.