cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual boot new G750 Ubuntu 14.04/Win8.1 - Partitions!

abqlewis
Level 7
Just got a G750JZ (first ASUS), and I'd like to dual boot Ubuntu 14.04 along side the existing Win 8.1. I've installed Ubuntu before on a few machines, but I've never dealt with : 1) Win 8.1 2) UEFI, or 3) SSDs.
Created a USB boot just using Ubuntu's creator, and it seems to work pretty well. I'm able to boot UEFI, my display is OK, I can mount drives, I can connect wireless, and I recover from sleep, so I'm feeling pretty good about Ubuntu on the G750.
Then I look at my partitions - WHOA! Here's what I'm looking at:

Disk0 1 TB HDD

😧 465.75GB NTFS Data1
E: 465.76GB NTFS Data2

Disk1 500GB SSD

100MB EFI System Partition
900MB Recovery Partition
C: 190.78GB NTFS OS
F: 265.065GB NTFS Data
20.01GB Recovery Partition

I normally don't have this many partitions even AFTER I install Linux!

First off, I thought I would have 2 256G SSDs RAIDed together, but I seem to have 1 .5TB SSD.

My plan is to :
1) Install 14.04 on the F: (Data) partition after reformatting.
2) Create a 48G partition out of part of the E: partition for swap
3) Maybe reformat the E: partition and mount it as home

Is this all reasonable? Am I missing something? Ubuntu will ask where to put the boot manager - MBR of the SSD? Is that even a thing now?
2 REPLIES 2

stesin
Level 7
So there aren't any answers here yet? I just got a fresh new G750 with 2*256 SSD and one 2Tb HDD (as far as I can recognize, also new to win 8.1).
Seems that two SSDs are glued into a RAID0 at intel controller and HDD is split into 2 partitions 1Tb each. What I want is dual-boot win8.1 and Ubuntu 15.04 in a way that both live at HDD so that SSD is free for some special purposes of mine (namely, database storage). How can I accomplish this?
First of all, how to move stock win8.1 from SSD to 1st single-terabyte HDD, and free the corresponding partition at SSD RAID0?
How to explain Linux that it must live at a second single-terabyte part of HDD, and use SSD for my database from Linux, and make win8.1 never touch the SSD again?
Thanks in advance!
WBR,
Andrii

Retired
Not applicable
stesin wrote:
So there aren't any answers here yet? I just got a fresh new G750 with 2*256 SSD and one 2Tb HDD (as far as I can recognize, also new to win 8.1).
Seems that two SSDs are glued into a RAID0 at intel controller and HDD is split into 2 partitions 1Tb each. What I want is dual-boot win8.1 and Ubuntu 15.04 in a way that both live at HDD so that SSD is free for some special purposes of mine (namely, database storage). How can I accomplish this?
First of all, how to move stock win8.1 from SSD to 1st single-terabyte HDD, and free the corresponding partition at SSD RAID0?
How to explain Linux that it must live at a second single-terabyte part of HDD, and use SSD for my database from Linux, and make win8.1 never touch the SSD again?
Thanks in advance!
WBR,
Andrii

Did you find all the drivers you needed to make your laptop work in the district, or did you have to go to the ASUS site?