cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiencing problems with R5E

Armeniko
Level 7
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums so I hope this thread is where it should be.

Recently (around a month ago) I purchased a Rampage V Extreme motherboard for a new build I was working on. I've built custom rigs in the past, but this is my first time using an Asus motherboard - and it seems to be having problems.

The first thing that tends to happen is when I leave my computer to idle for around an hour or so, it resets on its own and the fans start spinning way too fast, despite it being on silent mode. Meanwhile the computer isn't even booting. When I force shut down and restart, it gives me a BIOS error reading "Overclocking failure!". Now I haven't overclocked anything in my PC at all. BIOS is freshas it came out of the box and I've reset CMOS several times. Yet this continues to happen. Sometimes the SSD isn't even detected after it resets on its own, or even when I hit the reset button sometimes.

I've examined the entire motherboard before using it while referencing an image online, and there was nothing physically wrong with it. I really don't know what the problem is... I have heard so many great reviews about Asus boards and many people recommended it to me so I thought I'd give it a go. The specs on the board are amazing, but I just want to be able to use it without all the problems it seems to be having...

My PC specs:

Motherboard: Rampage V Extreme
CPU: i7 5930k
GPU: GTX Titan Black
RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2400MHz
SSD: Samsung 859 EVO
CPU Cooler: ZM Reserator 3 Max
PSU: Corsair AX1500i
20 REPLIES 20

drop4205
Level 12
what bios are you on? Have you gone into bios and done a default reset thru there? What operating system have you installed?
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Armeniko.

The Overclocking fail message will show up whenever the system is shutdown incorrectly. Can you indicate the exact model of your RAM and the BIOS that you are currently using?

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forums, Armeniko.

The Overclocking fail message will show up whenever the system is shutdown incorrectly. Can you indicate the exact model of your RAM and the BIOS that you are currently using?

Thanks Chino ^^ Just now as I was starting up my computer, it restarted mid-booting and overclocked itself again. The model of the RAM is as mentioned; Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB (4x4) DDR4 2400MHz currently operating at 2133MHz for some reason. I'm sorry I don't exactly understand what you mean by what BIOS I am using. There are two BIOS as far as I'm aware, and I'm using the second one.

drop4205
Level 12
restart comp and bang f2 to enter bios screen. It will ask to reset defaults just say no and in there it will show you the bios number ex. 0706, 1001
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

drop4205 wrote:
restart comp and bang f2 to enter bios screen. It will ask to reset defaults just say no and in there it will show you the bios number ex. 0706, 1001

Thanks for the reply. My BIOS number (or version as it's called in my BIOS) is 0603.

Chino
Level 15
Update your BIOS to the latest version. Use the EZ Flash utility that's found in the BIOS. Remember to clear your CMOS before updating your BIOS.

Armeniko
Level 7
I just updated the BIOS, I'll take note of how the computer is behaving throughout the day and see how it goes from there on. Thanks for the help thus far 🙂

Armeniko
Level 7
Once again as it was left in idle for around an hour, it shut down on its own. When I restarted it, it overclocked itself and wouldn't boot. Had to force terminate and restart, where I received an "Overclocking failed!" message. Went into BIOS to boot from there, it restarted itself twice before finally booting up properly.

I really don't understand what's going on, never had this problem before...