cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

h100i installation advice (fan xpert, headers, etc)

skyhigh
Level 7
Hey guys,

Currently waiting for my last package to come tomorrow so I can start building. I have a question regarding the h100i. I'm going to be installing it on a z97 pro gamer MB.

I would prefer to use AI Suite and use Fan Xpert to control the fans on the h100i radiator and avoid using Corsair Link.

What would be the best way to install the h100i to do this? I've read the following:

a. hook up one fan to cpu_fan and the other cpu_opt (then where does the 3 pin for the pump go?)
b. hook up the fans to a y-splitter connecting to cpu_fan and plug the h100i pump block into cpu_opt.
c. enough setup variations to bring me to my current state of confusion

Can anyone who has installed h100i with Fan Xpert give me some advice?

P.S. My chasis fan headers are spoken for, so I only have cpu_fan and cpu_opt available
7 REPLIES 7

Deon017
Level 8
you can fit the fan connectors to those pins and just install the pump directly of a 3 pin fan connector from your powersupply - you don't need to control the pump or would go with option b

Looks like the pump is powered via SATA. *Apparently* I don't need to plug the pump into the CPU_FAN, can just toss the fans on CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT and since h100i has set speed it doesn't need much more. The only thing I'll lose is the ability to read the pump speed.

Will test tomorrow and report back

skyhigh
Level 7
Hey, thanks for the response.

So you're sayin' I could plug the two fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT and connect the cpu pump directly to the PSU? I looked at what options I have coming out of my PSU and I think the only thing close is a 4 pin peripheral.. would this work? (Sorry for noob questions)

Deon017
Level 8
Yes - you don't need to control closed loop pumps - you can get a molex adapter for the 3 pin lay-out from your psu

sectionate
Level 12
skyhigh wrote:
Hey guys,

Currently waiting for my last package to come tomorrow so I can start building. I have a question regarding the h100i. I'm going to be installing it on a z97 pro gamer MB.

I would prefer to use AI Suite and use Fan Xpert to control the fans on the h100i radiator and avoid using Corsair Link.

What would be the best way to install the h100i to do this? I've read the following:

a. hook up one fan to cpu_fan and the other cpu_opt (then where does the 3 pin for the pump go?)
b. hook up the fans to a y-splitter connecting to cpu_fan and plug the h100i pump block into cpu_opt.
c. enough setup variations to bring me to my current state of confusion

Can anyone who has installed h100i with Fan Xpert give me some advice?

P.S. My chasis fan headers are spoken for, so I only have cpu_fan and cpu_opt available

You dont want to run/install more then 1 program that controls the fans. Lots of people have issues running both programs, just goole it. The corsairlink will do everything you need it to do.

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/blog/2013/february/how-to-install-the-hydro-series-h100i-cpu-cooler
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

drop4205
Level 12
Id still hook the h100i pump 1 wire to the cpu header on the motherboard. If the pump ever stops and you have a regular chassis fan on the cpu fan header that could be trouble for the chip. A separate fan control for all the chassis fans and fans on the h100i is a lot better than the link software. If you do use the link software use version 2.7.536. The newer version (3.1.5525) has a built in bootlogger to update the firmware on the h100i and will make the led turn pink no matter what color you choose the next time it reboots. If choosing the newer version just dont update the firmware on the 100i. If you do by accident then you need to install the older version and manually install the older firmware to fix the pink eye
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Deon017
Level 8
AI Suite does not like other fan controllers installed - I used corsair link for my PSU and had to uninstall it to run AI without errors