cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL771JM: Is there any way to disable the kinetic (flick) scrolling?

Frankenweenie
Level 7
The kinetic/flick/inertial/momentum/whatever scrolling is driving me insane. It's never consistent and always makes me lose my place if I do something ever-so-slightly wrong.

There is no option in the Smart Gesture program to toggle this, only to toggle scrolling on/off but I WANT scrolling, I just don't want this ridiculous inertial scrolling.

Is there any way to get scrolling to be normal?

Edit: After a bunch of Googling I found a solution, but not a great one.
I downloaded an Elantech driver from here.
I uninstalled Smart Gesture and installed the Elantech driver.
First off there is no more momentum when you move the mouse. It feels okay, not great.
I went to regedit and went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Elantech > SmartPad.
There is a registry called SC_IntertialScroll_Enable. I set this to 0. After a restart, this has disabled inertial scrolling.

The only reason I'm not happy with this is because my scrolling now feels really bad when going up. Scrolling down works decently, but when I start scrolling up it's very slow and doesn't respond well. Maybe this is just due to using a driver that wasn't meant to be on this laptop, or maybe I need to fiddle with some of the registry keys more.

Any other suggestions or ideas are super welcome.
17 REPLIES 17

Frankenweenie
Level 7
Bump. I'm not accepting no for an answer. There has to be a way to turn off this god-awful inertial scrolling. There has to be a registry key you can add to disable it - I just need to figure out what it is.

I can't be the only person who is seriously annoyed at the terrible inertial scrolling. There has to be a way to turn it off or lessen it, otherwise I'm selling this over-hyped gamer junk and getting a different brand so I will not have to deal with ASUS Smart Gesture.

XOIIO
Level 7
Did you try the latest elantech drivers and smart gesture from the asus site? I don't have this flick scrolling you do on my JT, just two finger scroll.

The only drivers for the GL771JM is the ASUS Smart Touch, which are up to date. Like I said in my OP edit, I tried installing the latest Elantech drivers, but those worked worse than the Smart Gesture and it wouldn't let me install both drivers at the same time - I had to uninstall my Smart Gesture driver in order to get the Elantech one to install.

What drivers do you have? Are you sure you don't have inertial scrolling? Inertial scrolling is when you scroll with some force, let ago, and it continues scrolling. It seems to come standard on ASUS Smart Gesture with no option to disable it.

hmscott
Level 12

Tried all of those, hmscott. Tried going back to the oldest drivers, those all still had the inertial scrolling. Some of them just broke scrolling completely.

Currently using the latest ASUS Smart Gesture driver, not that it fixes anything - scrolling is still annoying, but at least it's the driver I should be using.
There has to be a registry key I can make and edit to disable it, but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to get the proper registry key when it's not already there.

Frankenweenie, I found an allusion to a registry edit to solve it, but no Windows associated fix. But did find this fix for Linux 🙂

Adjust "coasting speed"

[SOLVED] disabling synaptics scroll inertia
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=114122

Frankenweenie, I found an allusion to a registry edit to solve it, but no Windows associated fix. But did find this fix for Linux 🙂

Adjust "coasting speed"

xinput --set-prop --type=float "AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad" "Synaptics Coasting Speed" 0 0

Or, add line to / etc / X11 / xorg.conf.d / 10-synaptics.conf

Option "CoastingSpeed" "0"

Maybe a related fix to registry for Windows...

Frankenweenie, google searching turned up mention of a registry edit to solve it, but they didn't say specifically what the exact fix was.

I did re-find this fix for Linux I have used before.

Adjust "coasting speed"

xinput --set-prop --type=float "AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad" "Synaptics Coasting Speed" 0 0

Or, add line to / etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf <== take out "space" between / and etc, weird board permission error when it is complete path as posted.

Option "CoastingSpeed" "0"

Maybe a related fix to registry for Windows...no CoastingSpeed token found in the registry.

The registry settings for Smart Gesture offer up some options, wanna try some settings? 🙂

There are Mouse and Mouse/Ease of Access Center stuff that might mix... pointer speed, lines of scrolling for mouse wheel...

Enabling ReverseScrolling changes the scroll direction, I wonder if it changes the weighting?

Also, I have both Asus Smart Gesture 3.0.8 and Elantech Touchpad 11.5.14.5 x64 WHQL installed...which means I also have the Elantech registry entries:

There are a number of InertialScroll settable spots...

I set all the SC_*InertialScroll* DWORD's, everywhere to 0 - by hand, not global replace - rebooted, seems less twitchy.

Disclaimer: I don't use the built in keyboard / trackpad often - so I am not used to the scroll action. I only tried it first before the change and it seemed a bit wild - accelleration was annoying, now it stays a steady speed - but continues scrolling when I stop - even though the *ContinueScroll* setting for that is also 0...

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Driver & Tools - Touchpad - there are newer versions than 11.5.14.5 here...
http://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/589/0/21/41/

Asus SmartGesture
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=ASUS+Smart+Gesture&hashedid=n%2fa

Please let us know if you get it working, and what you did to make it work 🙂

hmscott
Level 12
testing testing testing