cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G771 JM with Nvidia driver 347.52 suddenly low FPS [PLEASE HELP]

Vallentin
Level 7
Hello everyone!

I have an Asus G771 JM ROG laptop with nVidia GTX 860M 4GB graphic card and Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50 GHZ, 8 GB RAM.

I have updated my GPU to the latest nVidia driver 347.52 and after a few days after downloading, time in which I have not played anything, I decided today to start playing Heroes&Generals and I noticed that FPS dropped down from 40-60 which was usually, to 15-20 right now.

Also, I ran a test with CINEBENCH and, from 92-94 FPS that I usually had on previous tests, now I have obtained only 29-42 FPS max. I have tried uninstalling it and install previous versions but when I get the error like uncompatible system requierements (or smth like this) when I install a previous driver.

To be mentioned that the main GPU is nVidia and not the integrated one.

Any solutions to this?
12 REPLIES 12

Vallentin
Level 7
push

kingjezdi
Level 9
huhu Valentin,

try it again with the latest update 347.88
http://www.nvidia.de/Download/index.aspx?lang=de

🙂

Vallentin
Level 7
I tried something and it seems to be working. I had Low FPS in Cinebench R15 test even with the last driver.

Thanks for help!

Vallentin wrote:
I tried something and it seems to be working. I had Low FPS in Cinebench R15 test even with the last driver.

Thanks for help!

It is always nice that you detail what you have done so if someone else has the same issue they are helped out.

I know from experience it is frustrating to have the exact same issue as described and then it ends with 'ah nevermind I fixed it' and no more details 😉

Please do follow up when you are sure things are working for you.

joshindaphils wrote:
It is always nice that you detail what you have done so if someone else has the same issue they are helped out.

I know from experience it is frustrating to have the exact same issue as described and then it ends with 'ah nevermind I fixed it' and no more details 😉

Please do follow up when you are sure things are working for you.

Alright, I am not sure if the things are working because from the last time I did not run a test in Cinebench R15 to confirm it 100%.

But what I did until I got here was to uninstall my Windows 8.1 and reinstall it, in order to get rid of the nVidia Driver from Asus. There is no other way to get rid of it. After that, I have installed the drivers from nVidia and everything seemed to work, I was getting 92-94 FPS score in Cinebench R15 and I was really pleased with it.

After the specified update came in, my FPS suddenly dropped down to 29-40. What I did was to uninstall the driver using CCleaner (I had to ”uninstall” it again from Control Panel). The thing is that when I try to install some previous versions of nVidia drivers, it says that my system is not compatible with it. Well, I installed the latest version 347.88, restarted my PC and decided to give it a test in R15.

I assured myself that the laptop was cooldown so I turned my computer, activated the Airplane mode (so no data can be transfered), closed all the apps possible running, set to High Perfomance mode, ran a test, and I got 92 FPS.

Hey I just saw on the Asus support site they released a new official GPU update to coincide with NVIDIAS latest driver the .88 or whatever. This may assist getting things ironed out. I installed it without issue.

DeOrgy wrote:
Hey I just saw on the Asus support site they released a new official GPU update to coincide with NVIDIAS latest driver the .88 or whatever. This may assist getting things ironed out. I installed it without issue.

DeOrgy, which model support area did you find it? What is the URL, name, version, etc? Did you install it, did you notice any improvement/changes?

Ok sorry my apologies. The newest Asus driver is 347.52. I must have confused myself. I do still have 347.88 up and running without issue. If it makes any difference I did a clean install when I bought the laptop.

DeOrgy wrote:

DeOrgy wrote:
Hey I found the Asus certified Nvidia 347.88 on the asus canada website under service for drivers. I searched G771JM, selected win 8.1 and it was under the vga tab. Here is a link to where you type in the model. Maybe the Asus Canada site got the driver first? Is it not on the US site? Now I am looking at my comp and im not sure if i installed this one or the nvidia 347.88 variant. I downloaded the one from nvidia first before i noticed asus updated the driver page. I will redownload it and verify. Either way, I am on 347.88 and my fps seems the same. My big thing I noticed and I may start a thread about is I notice significant thermal throttling even 85Mv undervolted when gaming.

DeOrgy wrote:
Ok sorry my apologies. The newest Asus driver is 347.52. I must have confused myself. I do still have 347.88 up and running without issue. If it makes any difference I did a clean install when I bought the laptop.

DeOrgy, thanks for checking back, I read your first post as if there was a GPU firmware update, not an Nvidia driver Update 🙂

It always helps to put as much info in when providing breaking news of a new download, at least the version number and URL/section to look. Without that a lot of variations need to be search, and not knowing what region you are using really makes it tough.

I know it usually takes extra time to go back and find where you remember you found something and copy/paste the info/url, but without that it is really just a tease.

Think of it this way, you spend 10 minutes 1 time to post a fully filled out find, or 100+ people waste 20+ minutes each trying to find what you are talking about.

It takes a little while, a few postings, to pass through the inertia needed to get it done, but it's worth it in the long run for you and the rest of us.