cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with USB 3.0 Issues with 8 bay RAID Enclosure ... Please!

dedgar26
Level 7
I currently have 2 8 bay raid enclosures. They are USB 3.0 but I can’t seem to get them to work. I’ve tried everything that I have found on the Forums to get them to work but no success. I use them as storage for movies and music and stream them to the TV. I currently have them both plugged into the USB 2.0 and that works for playback of ISO blurays but ripping new movies takes forever. I would love to be able to use the USB 3.0 plugs or maybe I just need to move to the Thunderbolt system.
I do not OC the board at this time as I haven’t even been able to get my USB 3.0 to work just yet so I haven’t even played my first game, but want to get to it soon. I’ve only had the system finished for about a week. I’m running the BIOS at all defaults except for the M.2 setting.
Does anyone have any ideas ho I can get the USB 3.0 to work with my enclosures?
If there are some questions that I need to answer so that I can give some more information to help with a diagnostic, please ask them.
The goal of software engineers it to make bigger, better, idiot proof software.
The goal of the Universe is to make bigger, better idiots.
As a race, the universe is winning.
21 REPLIES 21

bob616
Level 7
Have you checked with mediasonic for updated firmware? Have you tried both front and rear ports?

Mediasonic does not have any firmware updates that I can find. I've sent e-mails but no response yet, it's only been a few hours. I did try both front and back. I've actually tried just one enclosure in each of all 12 3.0 plugs with and without restarts to no avail.

bob616
Level 7
Did you try plugging them in after Windows is up and running?

I did try that. I've tried both restarting the computer with them plugged in and then restarting the computer then plugin them in. When they are plugged in the system seems to take forever to get past posting and going into windows.

What about thunderbolt ... Is it worth looking into. Is it stable. I see the bandwidth is ridiculous and a little overkill for what I do, but if it works and I can have my 1000+ movies available I'll do it.

Chino
Level 15

I don't own a 3.0 pen drive but I will be going to the store today to get some other stuff. I'll pick one up and try that to see if they are functioning at all.

Chino
Level 15
It's possible that your bay raid enclosures are not compatible with the X99 platform. A lot of legacy stuff have problems on this platform. Normally a firmware update from the manufacturer should fix things. If none are available or provided, there is a workaround but you will lose USB 3.0 functionality. Basically what you do is disable xHCI in the BIOS.

bob616
Level 7
Another option is to get a PCIe USB 3.0 card if turning off xHCI works. Thunderbolt is fast but pricey and it uses a PCIe slot also... I think USB 3.1 will end up being a better way to go once a good number of devices hit the market.