Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post your g750jm 860m overclock scores here

rigolo
Level 7
MODDED BIOS TO UNLOCK OVER-VOLTING:

http://forum.techinferno.com/asus/7072-prema-mod-gtx860m-vbios-g750jm.html

NOTE: 1200mv is the likely limit for over-volting. On Clevo overcocked edition appears to have this as its stock spec. So do NOT go over 1200mv for the time being.

OLD VERSION ASUS TOOL THAT LETS YOU CHANGE VOLTAGE:

http://de.pcdrivers.guru/asus-gpu-tweak-for-laptops/download-675767.html

Sorry for starting a new thread on this, but the other ones I read were off-topic with lots of posts about other laptops and other GPUs. Keep all posts on point, and please only post if you own a G750JM with 860M, and want to know more or have valid advice from experience with this laptop specifically. This laptop is a great value, and with some tweaking can perform extremely well while running nice and cool.

I just picked a G750JM up off of craigslist for $660 USD. There is about 4 months warranty remaining so I figured I would mess around with the overclock settings for a spell :cool:

All results on are Windows 8.1 with 8GB RAM and the unlocked BIOS posted above, on table top with battery fully charged. Room temp is 68F (19C). Driver is NVIDIA 9.18.13.4475, which is maybe the last one before they took out the ability to overclock. Hopefully that comes back soon, from what I am reading it will be back on the next release.

Right now, I have the GPU set to 1200mv, 1400MHz clock speed, and 3100Mhz Memory speed. Stable so far, running at 68 C with the fan on high during stress tests. I read one user had his stable at 1200mv so I kept that as my max voltage while seeing how high I could clock it. Over 1420 / 3150 and it crashes so I have it at these values now and it is stable.

I am using Asus VGA Tool to overclock, and GPU Tweak ver. 105, with over-volting option, to double-check and keep fan set on high. Furmark to stress test while changing values, 3DMark to get benchmark.

My 3DMark11 GPU score is 6406-6425, so significantly higher than stock of 5000-5050. This is on Performance mode 720p at default settings. I ran the 4 graphics options and left the other ones out to get straight GPU score.

I am playing Assassin's Creed Rogue on 1080p, all high settings with 60+ FPS. I will try to get more accurate gaming FPS comparisons between stock and overclocked. My main concern right now is whether I am risking frying the GPU. If so the trade-off is not worth it, even if I did get a free replacement.

As for CPU (Intel I7 4700HQ), I left the frequencies alone, but lowered core and cache MV by 90, and lowered max Turbo Short Power to 54.5 and Max Turbo Power to 42.5W using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

What do you think? Should I stop? Keep going? Is 1200mv too high in your opinion? What would be a good max voltage? Thanks for your input and results.

Also, while we are discussing modding, I removed the DVD drive and I can feel air being sucked in through that empty port now. Laptops should have all air intake on the sides, and all output upward out the back. That way, it won't cook you if you actually use it in your lap like I do 🙂 Temp dropped by 1 or 2C, and it feels cooler in my lap. I also tightened all screws I could find, they were all a little bit loose. Might re-paste if it seems other users are running cooler than me. CPU stresses at 78C, GPU stresses at 68C, those are my averages.
34 REPLIES 34

evezy123
Level 7
hi where did u download the Asus VGA Tool from?

evezy123 wrote:
hi where did u download the Asus VGA Tool from?

Hi, it is part of the ASUS GPU Tweak package. Just look in the directory. I renamed GPU Tweak itself to stop it from starting up on boot, which I think resets the GPU values to stock.

I am trying to figure out how to get all values to stick across multiple reboots and GPU switching. For now, with NVIDIA card set to adaptive and system select, values will stick as long as I am logged in. Now that I am done setting up WIN 8.1 and the 1000 updates it had, I don't need to reboot often, so it is not a big issue. Ditto with the Intel Extreme utility, those values will not stay after reboot.

Use NoteBook FanControl to control both fans, selecting ASUS Zenbook UX32LN as the model.

Update: with the CPU and GPU fans both set to max, I am now getting 63C during GPU stress test, about 60C during gaming, maybe slightly more while it is on my lap. Removing the DVD drive definitely adds airflow, especially while using in your lap. I am not using a notebook cooler, but I did just install some upside-down plastic bottle caps over the rear feet to give it some more lift and stability. Use alcohol to clean surfaces then putt a weight over it for an hour to make it cure strong.

I am tempted to re-paste using some Arctic Silver I have, but I am afraid it might actually make it worse. My last laptop, an MSI/Cyberpowerpc model (they are both made by MSI and are essentially the same thing), pulled more like 80C or more on high, after I re-pasted, so this feels very cool by comparison.

rigolo, the reason the Asus GPU Tweak and XTU values aren't persisting through reboots, is you aren't saving the values you set into a profile. Both tools let you do a saved profile.

For Asus GPU Tweak, you go into the settings and check run at Windows start, and when you have Apply'd the values you want Click the little Save button and then one of the numbers next to it, start with 1.

For XTU, after your values are set and Apply, then click save and give the profile a name, and save, then XTU will use that profile next time you boot. If you crash, upon reboot you need to go into XTU and select that profile, Apply and exit XTU. As long as you don't crash XTU will use that profile and set the values every time you boot.

Also, the voltage value does nothing except show the number in Asus GPU Tweak, no voltage change is applied to the hardware, the vBIOS sets that value.

If you haven't already heard, the G750JM's 860m crashes with any driver newer than 332.60 - it happens exiting out of some games with consistency - search the forum for:

BSOD Driver Power State Failure

It also happens to some other Asus laptops with the 860m.

Some people have had luck with newer drivers starting with 344.75, but others still are having crashes with anything newer than 332.60

The G750 CPU throttles over about 93c and the GPU around 95c. Your temps are way low, don't sweat doing things like pulling the DVD drive for more airflow 🙂

The G750 is a well sealed chassis. The keyboard is sealed on top. The only air coming in is through the bottom vents. That air is coming in and going over the motherboard to cool parts not connected to the heatsinks/heatpipes. The heatsinks/heatpipes route heat through to the front of the exhaust fans and the heat is drawn out through the fins by the air being pulled across them.

By pulling the DVD you are breaking up the intended air flow and likely reducing the air coming through the bottom air vents, reducing the effectiveness of that routed air flow.

You may see a slight decrease in temperature for the CPU/GPU as the air flow is forced through a different path, favoring the heatpipe heat transfer, but the rest of the components on the motherboard - which don't have temperature monitoring - are getting less cooling air flow.

I would put the DVD drive back in, and let the sealed air flow pattern Asus designed do it's work 🙂

It's a great laptop otherwise, and that was a great price 🙂

Have fun 🙂

Okay, thanks for the tips. I can't find a settings panel in ASUS GPU Tweak, maybe I have an outdated version.

I got mine cheap because it is a little beat up, with a broken key that I fixed and a few tiny off-color spots on the screen. They aren't bothering me after a few days' use.

As for leaving the DVD drive out, I think it makes sense at least if I am using this on my lap. Here are two screenshots comparing the two scenarios using Open Hardware Monitor. I did not move my body or the computer at all during this test, just put it to sleep to take the drive in and out. Both shots are after 2 minutes of running furmark in the background. Fans are at 50%.

If you look down the DVD port, you can see how the air is still routed over the same area. I am not sure if i can find any other temps besides the ones shown, just to be sure I am not cooking anything?

I just wish these were built with side intake vents, where they are pulling in fresh, cold air from a large area, instead of warm stale air from a small space from underneath. For now, I guess I am engineering mine to do that. Might modify it slightly when I disassemble it, and see if I can get temps even colder.

I have no need at all for a DVD drive. I install everything from USB drives and haven't used a CD or DVD for any purpose in years. So I am happy to take it out and feel the breeze going in.

Here are temps with DVD Drive in:

And removed:

I did the DVD-in test first, and although I didn't wait to run the test with the Drive out, and CPU use is higher, temps are still significantly lower. Some proof of concept, anyway. WIth some basic engineering, I am pretty sure I can get the airflow to cover all the same spots as the stock vents, and get temps a few degrees lower. WIll post a new thread if that project is a success.

Update: now pulling 58C during 1920x1080 8X MSAA burn-in Furmark test, at core clock of 1400MHz, 1200MV and 3100MHz Memory, after installing raised feet (wide juice bottle plastic caps) in the back. That is phenomenal. I am sure it will run warmer in my lap, but that is the desktop temperature after full 5 minutes of burn-in. I think it would be unwise to re-paste at this point. If it creeps up over time due to thermal breakdown of paste, then I will try it and clean everything out at the same time. For now, just spraying duster into back vents, empty DVD drive and exposed RAM slots etc, seems to get a lot of dust out without need to disassemble.

rigolo
Level 7

Ignore the "Throttling" part. At first I thought furmark was underclocking me, but GPU Tweak and MSI Afterburner both show it is indeed running at 1400MHZ.

rigolo
Level 7
Also, whenever I lower MV, the driver crashes and Furmark etc won't run until I raise it again in ASUS tool. So it seems that I am controlling mv value. Unles there is something I am missing.

If I truly can't change the GPU voltage at all, then I guess I don't need to worry about frying it. But the fact that things crash when I do lower it seems to indicate that more is happening than just text input.

rigolo wrote:
Also, whenever I lower MV, the driver crashes and Furmark etc won't run until I raise it again in ASUS tool. So it seems that I am controlling mv value. Unles there is something I am missing.

If I truly can't change the GPU voltage at all, then I guess I don't need to worry about frying it. But the fact that things crash when I do lower it seems to indicate that more is happening than just text input.

rigolo, several things, all important, I am trying to covey to you.

1) Normally, the stale heated air as you call it, is being drawn out and evacuated from the HDD/SSD bays, and components in the area in front of where the DVD intake is. That "heated stale air" is going to get hotter, now that it isn't getting as much air circulation. That is a problem you are creating by short-pathing the air in through the DVD area toward the exhaust fans. Watch your HDD/SSD temps with something like Crystaldiskmark and / or hwinfo64.

2) The reduction in temperature of the CPU/GPU due to this short-pathing of air is sacrificing the cooling of the other components in the laptop and transferring that additional heat carrying capacity to the heat exchangers in front of the exhaust fans.

3) The 2c reduction in the CPU/GPU temps is insignificant as compared to the overheating of the other components.
FYI, another guy showed up at one point, having cut holes in the laptop case just below the heat exchanger so that air would only come in through those holes and he saw a similar improvement in CPU/GPU temps, as he roasted the rest of his laptop 🙂

4) If you haven't changed the vBIOS of the GPU, the voltage setting isn't possible in the stock GPU, and you are coincidentally noting either an OC setting induced crash in the GPU or the BSOD Driver Power State Failure crashes along with the "voltage changes". Try leaving the voltage at stock values, and OC the GPU +135 and the memory at stock for now.
If your voltage change was working you would be getting display driver crashes, not BSOD's.

5) What are you using to set the voltage and GPU clock/memory clock OC? The Asus GPU Tweak tool for Laptops - the correct one for the G750JM/JS/JZ/G751JM - the one for Optimus ROG laptops doesn't have frequency setting options, voltage setting options, only a 5% OC option.
Using the Asus VGA tool in the folder isn't normally used. If your Asus GPU Tweak tool is the one for Graphic cards, that is the wrong one for your laptop - that one is for Non-Optimus laptops like the G750JW/JX/JH/G751JT/JY
If you are using the wrong Tweak tool, your settings might be causing a Windows crash.

Asus GPU Tweak for Laptops vs Asus GPU Tweak for Graphics Cards
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Gra...

If you have an G750JM, you can use MSI Afterburner to set the frequencies. Use the Asus Tweak Tool for Laptops to set the Max Fan, otherwise it isn't of much use.

If you are seeing BSOD Driver Power State Failure, that isn't a GPU crash, that is a Windows memory handing / driver handle release timeout issue - try running the 332.60 version of the Nvidia driver for a while and see if the crashes stop. . OC'ing the GPU will usually show sparklies in the display before further OC'ing even higher will cause the Nvidia Display driver to restart - you will see a help balloon with text to that effect. When you see that notice you need to reboot to reset the Nvidia Display driver to run at full speed - the notice is a way of telling you the Nvidia driver has recovered enough to let you shutdown or restart the laptop without losing work.

6) The 860m will cause Windows BSOD's on drivers newer than 332.60, watch for the same crash each time. If you are getting crashes, they will likely all be the same cause. Did you read the threads I suggested searching for earlier?

rigolo
Level 7
I am actually using an old version of ASUS GPU Tweak, which contains another tool called VGA tool. I also have a modded BIOS flashed, which unlocks the GPU for over-volting. I totally forgot to mention that in my first post, let me dig up the link for it.

No artifacts or crashes yet, at 1200mv/1400 gpu / 3100 RAM. The new ASUS tool has no voltage options, but the version I have does. vesion 1.05

The HDD temp is exactly the same so far. I see what you are saying, and had considered the micro-ports the air is being drawn through. I might install some temp sensors inside to make sure everything is running the same or cooler.