cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Watercooling Setup. ALL Fans stop working when Windows Boots???

Radeson
Level 7
Hello,

I just got done putting together a new WC'ing setup. I have 2 rads and 4 fans hooked up to the CPU fan header. The fans are all from Koolance and DC controlled. All with a .2 amp rating. So no more than .8 amps are on the Cpu header. All my fans work in BIOS, but as soon as windows starts (before password screen) the fans shut off completely. ALL of my fans. I just calibrated them using the Q-fan calibration in BIOS. IDK what to do..... HELP
5 REPLIES 5

Sylver123
Level 9
It would be much better if you bought a fan controller for powering up your radiator fans and controlling the speed of them.
Intel i7 5960X @ OC 4.5GHz, Asus R5E, XSPC AX360, G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4-3000MHz, BeQuiet 1200W PSU, Cooler Master Cosmos 2, Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP, Creative X-Fi Titanium, 2 X Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0, 2 X Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB RAID 0, LG BH10LS30

Radeson
Level 7
All the fan headers shut off when windows starts except the 2 fan headers by the 24 pin PSU connector... I think my MOBO or windows is fried... I just tried uninstalling corsair link, because I thought it was the problem...

Also off the subject. The first 3 weeks I owned this board the 3000mhz XMP profile worked flawlessly. Now it only recognizes 3/ 4 channels. Sometimes B, C, D and sometimes A, B, D. I am seriously starting to think that something is wrong with it. I also just got a brand new CPU today and It acts just like the one before it. It wont get stable at 4.4ghz no matter how hard I try. It's also a Costa Rica chip if that makes a difference. Its funny brcause I have to do the same exact thing to this CPU as I did to the last 2 to get stable......

Radeson
Level 7
OK I attached 2 PWM fans from my former Corsair H100i to CPU fan and CPU OPT fan. Then I attached the 4 koolance fans with a splitter to CHA_FAN 3B and now it seems to work. Here Is Screen shot

skypine27
Level 7
I'll share some experience I have had with this stuff (but I've never build a custom WC loop).

1. I have fried MOBO fan headers before (on my Rampage 3 extreme). Plugging in 2 x high amp fans via a Y-cable to a single 3 or 4 pin mobo header can torch it. Thankfully it didnt wreck anything else on the board.

2. I have fried the fan control "part" of an H80i as well. The h80i (like the 100i) has 2 x plugs in the CPU block for fans. Well, as far as I can tell, they are meant for 4 fans max, 2 on each. One time I wrecked it by plugg in 4 x fans via Y-cables into a single channel on the H80i. That ruined that too.

3. Asus Fan Xpert isn't perfect. Sometimes my PC starts with the fans going 100% and I have to manually click the "silent" profile and then re-load my custom one. Happens a lot actually. I did the fan test from within windows. Might try it from inside BIOS, didnt even realize there was a fan calibration option in there until your post.

A pic because Im bored:
*CPU: Intel 10980XE @ 5.0 ghz (by Core usage) w/ EK monoblock
*Mobo: Asus Rampage VIE
*RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000 G.Skill TridentZ
*Graphics: Gigabite 3090 Waterforce
*Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW @ 120hz
*Storage OS: Samsung SM970 Pro (2TB) Windows 10
*Storage Games Internal: 4TB 850 EVO RAID0
*Storage Extermal: 48TB Raid0 (External USB 3.1 Box)
*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU