cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go for GTX 980 or wait for the GTX 1000 Series?

classified
Level 7
My GTX 680 SLI setup ( Asus GTX 680 DC2 TOP X2) Is losing the battle of FPS. When I play shadow of mordor in Ultra settings FPS drops to 25 when there is lot of enemies around. I think time is coming for a new build. Its better to wait until GTX 1000 series or just go for the GTX 980? My set up now- 3770K, 32gb 2400 RAM, MVE mobo.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hello rogclassified and welcome

The gtx 980 has been out for a while and there should be a new NVidia gpu coming sometime soon. I see there is talk about a gtx titan x so I GUESS it will be next. It is a monster of a gpu with 12GB of Vram and a hefty price tag. Rumors are it will cost anywhere from 1,000 to 1,400 dollars. If you can afford one of these it would be the one to get. I see here it may be released on the 17th of March but who knows.

http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-12gb-video-card-overview_159741

Heini
Level 11
rogclassified, What resolution are you running? At 1080p a 980 would be great but at 1440p or greater a pair of 970/980 cards would
be better. Now to the original question, "980 or wait". 25fps is frustrating and I'm 'guessing' that you'd like to move soon so I say go
for the 980's. The rest of your can wait for a rebuild.

Thanks for the link, Nate. It answered a couple of questions I had.

ps.... sorry for weird spacing, something happened to formatting and I can't figure it out

Chino
Level 15
The thing about technology is that it will always advance at a fast pace. You can pass a lifetime waiting for the next big thing. If I was looking for an upgrade at this precise moment in time, I'd grab the ASUS GeForce GTX 980 Strix for $550 After Mail In Rebate.

classified
Level 7
Hi Guys. I thank you for the Info. In future im hoping to run 4K videos and games, heard that 680 is not doing good with 4k.
If I go for titan x Is there a difference between brands? I love water cooling my setup.
I don't need big fancy fans cause im gonna take them apart anyway.