cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backlit keyboard broken?

olounda
Level 7
So I just got my g74 back from bestbuy repair (bios update fried the board, so sent it in and they replaced the motherboard), and now the backlit keyboard doesn't work. the fn key and all the other options work, just not the backlit keyboard. Is there a bios update/driver update that i could install to fix the issue?
26 REPLIES 26

dstrakele
Level 14
Did you try Fn-F4 to turn on the keyboard backlight?

If that fails, go to "Control Panel - Uninstall a Program" and uninstall the ASUS ATK Package - REBOOT - then install ATK Package 1.00.0014.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

the fn-f3 and f4 button both do not work. however, all the other fn-functions work.

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5665-G53Sw-Baccklights&p=41260&viewfull=1#post41260
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

It would be difficult to get any of the cables backwards or upside down. They all "approach" the motherboard a certain way and you'd have to really twist and contort them to put them in the wrong way....in fact, I'm not sure the top cover would lie properly with a twisted cable under there. There's very little clearance. Here's a photo with the top cover tilted up (supported by a screwdriver!)....if you look closely, you can see the five ribbon cables.

Rather than a cable problem, I think this sounds like one of those weird ATK issues. ATK is actually five different programs under one installer umbrella, and it seems to get messed up easily. I'd go through the standard ATK troubleshooting....uninstall, reinstall, etc.....before looking at the cables.

well, its going back anyways, cuz the headphone jack doesn't work either.... sometimes i wish bestbuy knew what the hell they were doing, or would just ship to asus for repairs instead of using "their" techs...

olounda wrote:
well, its going back anyways, cuz the headphone jack doesn't work either.... sometimes i wish bestbuy knew what the hell they were doing, or would just ship to asus for repairs instead of using "their" techs...

Kick ass and take names, olounda! :thumbsup:
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

So, they fixed my audio jack, and my front led's, so now i know whats going on. However, the backlight on my keyboard still doesn't work. they said that everything was plugged in nice and tight with leads me to believe 1 of 2 things happened. 1, when i originally got it sent back to me from the repair shop, they somehow damaged the keyboard, or connector for the backlight, or 2, it is a bios issue... as the rest of the Fn buttons work and bring up the correct OSD overlay when pressed. The reason why my machine went into the shop in the first place was because a bios update bricked it. I want to re-update my bios to 202 (its currently on 201 due to the new motherboard) to fix my numpad. What are some more stable ways to update my bios besides windows (which is how it fried last time...)?

olounda
Level 7
actually i just noticed. None of my lights up front work, no hdd light, battery charging light, wifi light.

Good idea. 🙂