cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V - Less OC than expected - 5820k

viciado95
Level 7
I've bought an Asus Rampage V Extreme on 25th October and since then I've been messing around with it a little bit.
I'm a bit concerned because I've expected to get highter OC on the CPU. I know about the silicon lottery, but even counting on that I still think it's a low OC.
I'm not an extreme OCer, so I wouldn't like to push my CPU to its limits, but I want to know if anyone could help me to improve my OC; maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I've tried to push it to 4.1GHz with 1.28v, but it wasn't stable.
I've only touched vCore and the multiplier 'cause it's my first time OCing and I really don't want to mess up my system.
NOTE: today I've discovered that there's an extra 4pin connector for the CPU in addition to the 8pin one. I didn't build my system and only the 8pin connector was plugged in. I read that it could improve stability, that might help the OC stability, but I didn't touch it. If someone knows somethins about this, please tell me. I did some research, but I didn't find good info.
Thank you all for your help!

My setup:
Intel i7 5820k @ 4GHz - 1.25v
G.Skill 4x4GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970 @ 1405Mhz
Corsair RM850W
And I think that's all the important information needed :'D

*Sorry for my english; it's not my primary language
28 REPLIES 28

Korth
Level 14
Remember that the 5920K is a binned underspec 5930K part (which is itself a binned 5960X part).

So I wouldn't expect it to OC as well as a 5930K. but ~4GHz @ 1.3V does seem a bit weak, at a glance.

Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan, maybe?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Nate152
You can connect the 4 pin cpu power cable but generally it's only needed for extreme overclocking. It won't hurt anything if you connect it.

Thanks for that info 🙂
I'll keep leaving it unplugged for now. If it's for extreme OCing, I don't need it. I'm not aiming for that xD

viciado95
Level 7
There are 5820k @4.5Ghz with around 1.275v
I've tried mine with 1.275v @4.1GHz and it wasn't stable (it posted and worked, but after a while of stress test it crashed)
😕

Nate152
I don't have experience with the 5820k cpu but if you're crashing you need a little more vcore. As long as you keep temps under control and stay below 1.40v you'll be fine.

If you can't get it stable with reasonable voltage it's possible your ram is unstable. I don't have the rampage v extreme so I really can't comment other than that.

Chino
Level 15
Some CPUs are just below average. Nothing you or the motherboard can do about that.

Which heatsink are you using? Which program are you using to test your stability?

Sorry for not including that in my system info.
I'm using a Corsair H100i
And about the stability test, I'm using the ROG RealBench_v2.41
I must say that i'm pretty happy with the OC and the temperatures (even at full load, CPU doesn't exceed 60ºC with an ambient temperature of 20ºC) but I think that 1.25v for 4GHz is too much. I've seen 5820k @ 4.3Ghz with 1.25v
That's why I asked for help. Maybe I forgot about something and that's why I get these results :S
Or maybe I've just been unlucky :'D

Also I want to know what is bether between OCing with the multiplier or with the BCLK
I know that if I OC the BCLK, I'll OC my entire system, including storage devices and so on, so I'm a bit concerned about other devices while playing around with the BCLK
I've tried with both of them and I got the same results overall
Right now I'm at 4GHz with the multiplier; I left the BCLK at 100MHz

Chino
Level 15
For an everyday overclock, only the multiplier and vcore needs to be modified. Also have you tried overclocking your CPU with your RAM running at default 2133MHz?

Yeah. I did it and same results with the RAM at 2133MHz :S