New ROGer Array

Lightbulb General "How to Improve Asus Support" Ideas and Discussion Thread

In light of the 2015 review of laptop brands published few days ago, Asus ranked 7th, a massive drop from last year's 3rd, due to the company's absymal support.

I'm a long-time Asus fanboy, and I have been noticing how Asus support has been regressed over time. The best bet as a user when they have a problem is to consult online support like rog forum and messaging from Facebook and the MyASUS app. The phone support is always the most horrible out of the available options, which, given the complicated nature of troubleshooting hardware and verbal expression of issues I thought I'd willing to cut them some slack on this part, but to the most simple advices (like how to get the usb3.0 driver, last time I asked) what I've got from the phone had been next to unhelpful.

Anyway, I believe Asus' support in general (not just for RMA, which I'm generally lucky for never used one) has been a primary sore point to a lot of potential buyers and current users like me. That's why I think open a thread to solely can help Asus make better decision.

To everyone reading this: How have Asus support treated you? Any ideas for improvement?

Don't be shy, speak out!
    Last edited by wkwrd; 03-15-2015 at 02:10 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array Xenocrates PC Specs
    Xenocrates PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Formula VI
    Processori5 4670
    Memory (part number)CML4GX3M2A1600C9 / F3-8500CL7-4GBRL
    Graphics Card #1PNY GTX 770 4096 MB edition
    CPU CoolerCM Evo Hyper 212
    CaseNZXT Phantom 630
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000
    Keyboard Logitech G105
    Mouse R.A.T. 5
    Headset Plantronics Gamecom 780
    OS Windows 7 Professional

I had an RMA. Used the online chat. Went rather smoothly. I got a new board, shipped them the old one. Quick and hassle-free. About 20 minute with the rep, and he created an RMA number for me. Which made me sad, I had hoped there was a fix. But it went smoothly and quickly. North American, For Reference.
    Cheers
    Xeno

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Online reports - based on search engine findings and, of course, popular bias - are invariably going to be skewed. The overwhelming majority of loyal customers buy a product, use it seemingly without issue, never say a word. They rarely bother to offer feedback unless bribed through some sort of rebate or reward. Those people who volunteer comments about their products online are usually complaining that something's not working and they want it fixed. Or they can't really tell if it's not working and want information before losing time and money on RMAs, shipping charges, restocking fees, etc.

Many of these complaints are valid. Unforeseen bugs do exist. Defects do happen. Shipping and delivery can be a dangerous sport.
    Most of these complaints can be attributed to user error - clumsy gorilla fingers, failure to read manuals, poorly chosen incompatible parts, whatever.
    Some of these complaints are just demands for more perfection which no product can possibly deliver, certainly not at a consumer price-point.
    A few of these complaints are just haters who gonna hate, flamethrowers, trolls, and other useless internet vandals trying to leave their stain.

Companies like Asus are high profile and so receive more scrutiny. And they can be judged unfairly when they choose to ignore specific complaints or discontinue open dialogues - even when it would clearly be a waste of their time to continue responding. But I can't at all agree with any claims that Asus fares worse in this regard than Samsung and Dell (let alone user-hostile megacorporate HP and Lenovo), I think the writer of that article really needs to get a few of the finer facts straightened out, lol.

Asus enthusiast products tend to be heavily packed with advanced features, bells & whistles - which adds to usage complexity and configuration considerations. So these products may appear shoddy at a glance simply because so many people constantly report issues and confusions about all sorts of things not working exactly as expected.

However, all that being said ... my personal experience is that Asus support is sometimes sporadic and substandard. And it has seemed to generally decline in overall quality over recent years.
    Last edited by Korth; 03-16-2015 at 03:15 AM.

ROG Member Array

My biggest comment to this thread would be to better include customers in the RMA process. I have been running this RMA gauntlet for 12 months now on my ROG notebook and the most frustrating part is the lack of transparency with the process. I will qualify that.

If I send my notebook in for an issue, I do not think it is to much to expect a rundown of what tests they performed and what, if anything, they had to do to the unit in question. Instead you get a generic service slip with some ASUS only codes that say nothing. This is extremely frustrating for someone whom wants to know what exactly the issue was and what caused it and what parts were replaced etc...

I work in heavy equipment industry and its common practice that we always supply this sort of information to the customer, I guess I expected all industries to work like this. No amount of asking really got me a solid answer either.

Maybe I am expecting to much but I dont think so.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array sectionate PC Specs
    sectionate PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Crosshair V Formula
    Processor8350 - 1090T
    Memory (part number)G Skill Sniper F3-14900CL9-4GBSR
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX660-DC2O-2GD5
    MonitorAcer GD235HZ - ViewSonic VX2439wm - SyncMaster P2350
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseHAF 932
    Power SupplyCorsair Professional HX850
    Mouse Zowie EC1 eVo
    OS Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit

Asus support has always been good to me, never had to wait xxx amount of days for emails and what not. Never had to RMA any hardware.
    Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com