cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme - Asus thermal interface materials?

Korth
Level 14
What are the specs for the TIMs used (by Asus) on this motherboard?

According to this review -
The heatsink covering the PCH is a pretty large affair that uses the thick pink TIM we often see ASUS use here. The MOSFET heatsink uses thermal pads that cover both the MOSFETS and the top of the chokes. The DirectCU copper pipe was found under the thermal pad covering the MOSFETs. The heatpipe then joins the heat dissipating block that covers the I/O area. There is no thermal interface material on the block as its purpose is to provide an escape route for any heat that it receives through the heatpipe. On the back of the motherboard is another plate that’s attached to the bottom of the MOSFETS, and it too uses a pad for thermal interface material.

(Bold emphasis is mine.)

I'm not really willing (at this time) to take my R5E mobo apart and void warranty just to check out the TIMs firsthand. But I am interested in knowing what these TIMs are and whether I can replace them with anything better. Are the "thick pink TIM" and thermal pads just cheap, generic, bulk factory-issue filler or are they premium performers? Specific details about brand, product, model information, part numbers, or at least detailed thermal specs would be preferred.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]
6 REPLIES 6

Korth
Level 14
(Recently came across this patent while researching scholarly articles for advanced TIM bits. Short version: memory heatspreaders using a 0.05"-thick TIM composed of a 0.01" flexible graphite sheet sandwiched between two 0.02" thermal pads provided surprisingly impressive results in thermal efficiency testing, and I'm considering using the same approach on my mobo heatsinks.)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Raja
Level 13
Leave the paste as is - for sake of keeping your warranty intact. The few degrees you will gain by using the "best paste" won't result in anything tangible for board longevity, stability or overclocking.

dr_owned2
Level 7
A thermal pad is a thermal pad for the most part. You're not going to see any different changing it out.

The paste on the chipset is fine...chipset doesn't produce any real heat anyways.

Korth
Level 14
Replacing the TIM would be required anyhow, should I choose to mount EKWB accessories or something equivalent. I know the chipset and RAM don't get too hot anyhow (unless you have bad airflow) - but advanced cooling doesn't hurt and adds a lot of swag.

This would be sometime in the half-distant future, after I've seen how well I can overclock all my parts on air (and after my warranty periods have expired). Not planning on breaking out some LN2 and volt-mods, but I would be happy with a nice round 5GHz lol.

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
but I would be happy with a nice round 5GHz lol.

Hello

LOL. So would thousands of other users.

Korth
Level 14
Yup 😉

[/Korth]