cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g73 rma

Rball904
Level 7
This section looks to be like more help than the RMA section would so I posted it here. Like everyone else I have the touchpad problem with my g73sw. It act like im zooming in and out of the page when I am using my touchpad at random moments. I did a RMA with Asus back in AUG but because of school I wasn't able to send them my laptop. I am going to try to send them it now and hopefully I will be getting it back before January. I am waiting on the customer support response and an RMA number. Do you think they will fix the TP issue by removing the tape and glue residue or just give me a brand new laptop? Will I need to inform them about the problem like midihooker had to for his RMA in Sweden? How long do you think this whole process will take? I really can't afford to miss having my laptop when school comes back around.
8 REPLIES 8

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

First off have you tried to update your touchpad drivers? Mine also screws up sometimes and is very annoying but I don't realy care about that 😛
[Go to this New Drivers thread and look for the touchpad drivers but be sure to use the right one.]

As I have experienced and readed in this forum, is that you wil not get a new computer, the Asus Support would probably fix it by do something like you have written down.
If you have to explain what the problem is when you're going to RMA it you could mention it, but don't have to.
When I talked last time with the Asus Hotline Support, about RMA and so on, I also asked about how long it would take, and they said 5-10 buisness days, but I'm not sure if it applies to you in your country.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Rball904 wrote:
This section looks to be like more help than the RMA section would so I posted it here. Like everyone else I have the touchpad problem with my g73sw. It act like im zooming in and out of the page when I am using my touchpad at random moments. I did a RMA with Asus back in AUG but because of school I wasn't able to send them my laptop. I am going to try to send them it now and hopefully I will be getting it back before January. I am waiting on the customer support response and an RMA number. Do you think they will fix the TP issue by removing the tape and glue residue or just give me a brand new laptop?

They don't replace a whole computer to fix a touchpad. As best I can tell, there are three possibilities:

• They replace the touchpad and install the new one with the original G73 installation protocol. You could very well end up with the exact same problem after the repair.
  • They replace the touchpad and install the new one with an improved protocol that avoids all the tape that caused problems in the original installations.
  • They don't replace the touchpad, but they clean off all the tape and adhesive around the edges. In many cases, this resolves the issue.

Will I need to inform them about the problem like midihooker had to for his RMA in Sweden? How long do you think this whole process will take? I really can't afford to miss having my laptop when school comes back around.
From reading lots of RMA stories, I get the impression that Asus service "efficiency" varies considerably by region. I've heard of one week turn-arounds and month-long visits, and everything in between. Fortunately, most of the repairs in the U.S. seem to be pretty fast.

It does appear that some service centers are not yet aware of the updated information and touchpad repair techniques. Since you really need your computer back as soon as possible, I'd try to maximize the chance of success by trying to get one of the Asus reps here (on the Forum) to forward the the proper info to your local service center.

Rball904
Level 7
Thank you for all the input.
I'm sorry fuzon1337 but if I paid $1800 for a laptop I except everything to work. If I wanted something that had peripheral devices always hooked up to it I would have bought a much better desktop computer.

Brodyboy, I will see what they say in the return email. Hopefully they tell me the location I will be sending it to so I can get a forum rep on here to send them the proper instructions.

JRd1st
Level 12
Send a PM to Brian@ASUS
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Rball904
Level 7
So i got my RMA and it told me to send it to
ASUS Technology Services
Attn: RMA Department – RMA #USG11B3293
1171 Montague Expressway
Milpitas, CA 95035
Does anyone know if this facility knows the proper procedures to fix this problem? Can any of the Admins PM me and give me instructions to print out to help the Techs with the proper procedures to take to fix this problem. Thankyou.

Chastity
Level 10
If you haven't mailed it in yet, I would like to issue you a new RMA to have it come to me instead. Please let me know if you have shipped it yet.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Rball904
Level 7
Hey Chastity, sorry I did not answer your phone call I went down to Orlando for vacation. I have not mailed it in yet, but I would much rather mail it to you instead. What do you need from me so that I can get a new RMA number? I would really appreciate it if you did that for me. Please send me a PM or I'll give you a call on Monday so we can discuss it further.

Rball904
Level 7
Chastity can you please PM me back. I got a new cell phone so I need you to contact me on that number.