cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Cooling G751JY + Battery Wear

Badarang
Level 7
Hi so I purchased a G751JY about a month ago and I'm absolutely loving it but I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer for me. First off, the G751 has great cooling with the exhaust being in the rear but I love my machine and want to get the most life out of it that I can. So i was thinking of purchasing a cooler for it to rest on to try and get the temperatures lower. With the exhaust being in the back will a cooler actually help lower temps? I don't mind if it's just 1-3 degrees, I just don't want to COMPLETELY waste my money. Also using HWMonitor I've noticed after only a month of use my battery wear level is reading about 4%, that seems pretty fast to me. Is that normal or should I maybe keep a closer eye on it? Also if anyone had any tips as to improving the longevity of my battery for the long run that would be appreciated. Thanks again!
15 REPLIES 15

NitroX
Level 10
If you don't want to waste money then you shouldn't buy a notebook coolpad. It is quite useless for the G751. There are other ways to reduce the temperatures even more than they are right now. The main solutions are (in this specific order):

1) Do a CPU Undervolt using Intel XTU to about -80mv/-80mv Core/Cache. This won't affect performance.
2) Do a CPU Underclock when 3 or 4 cores are working, also by using Intel XTU. This will affect the performance but it won't be noticeable. x33x33x32x32 should reduce the temps quite a bit while under load.
3) Use NBFC from the link below, but be aware that it is an aftermarket software that will change the way your CPU fan reacts. There haven't been any big issues until now but I advise you to read carefully what I have written in that post.

You can get more information from this post where I have explained for another ROG User https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58501-Making-of-quot-Official-NotebookFanControl-G751JY-Pr....

If you will be tempted to use NBFC then I advise you to read the first 2 posts from that thread.

As for the battery wear, yeah it is quite ok. The fact is that the system doesn't get exact reading of the battery capacity and it varies from day to day. I am also fluctuating between 3 and 4% and I've bought the laptop on 22 December 2014 (almost 3 months by now). And it is like that for more than 1 month. But, in order to better preserve your battery you should follow these rules: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57203-G751JT-need-help-with-battery&p=472094&viewfull=1#po...

Hope this answers your curiosities :).

hmscott
Level 12
After 1.5 years on my G750JH battery, wear level is 8.2%...

hmscott wrote:
After 1.5 years on my G750JH battery, wear level is 8.2%...

And how did you manage to do that 😄 ? I'm quite curious to know if the things that I have recommended are indeed true or false. I only have a 3 months experience with this one and I cannot have a strong personal background for this subject.

NitroX wrote:
And how did you manage to do that 😄 ? I'm quite curious to know if the things that I have recommended are indeed true or false. I only have a 3 months experience with this one and I cannot have a strong personal background for this subject.

NitroX, nothing special. I leave it plugged in all the time. I only used battery mode a few times. I keep a power adapter at home, work, and in the bag so AC power is always available.

I did run on battery down completely through warnings to shutdown a few times for testing at the beginning of ownership.

The wear level went from 8.2% to 8.5% in 1 day, proving that a watched Battery does go flat 😉

I would love to see someone that uses their G750 predominantly on battery to see how different the wear level is... so far noone has posted that they have a bad battery; it's always a bad charging circuit or a bad power adapter.

These G750 batteries are turning out the be real survivors 🙂

NitroX
Level 10
Oh well, the G75VW was also good at this. After 2.5years it had about 13% Wear level but I did use it with the battery off for a long time. In fact, I'm quite glad that the battery on this one is non-removable because it saves me from doing a useless task like pulling out the battery and insert it again when I needed it. I don't even want to say how many sudden power offs i have experienced on the G75 because of the people at the faculty who didn't ask before pulling out a laptop charger -_- (especially the damn teachers).

Well, I hope that the G751 will perform as good as the G750 with the battery always inside. Though, for your curiosity, I think that people who use the laptop on battery very often will have considerable higher wear levels. I noticed this on the G75 and on this G751 as well. At every 5-10 full battery deplete and recharge the wear level tends to go a bit higher.

NitroX, it's possible the wear level changes up/down over time. I just looked again, and it says 9.7%, funny haha, or funny strange... I think I am going to stop looking. 😉

I have rebooted a couple of times for installs, but haven't unplugged or run on battery after the 8.2% reading above... weird.

navis995
Level 11
Wear level changing weekly. You HAVE to use battery at least once per week to keep it healthy. I have G750JZ for 6 months now and the battery wear is 4%, yesterday was 5% 2 weeks ago 10% and then again 5%. Its changes depends on the battery usage. If you're using it a lot or just here and there. All in all no worries. As long you use it here and there and not completely discharge it (around 10-15% left) you should have it for 4 years without any problems. Don't bother removing it out when you're doing heavy gaming either because it may just do more harm than good. All in all no battery will last 10 years with no wear what so ever, which may change with carbon based batteries but that is still yet to come 😉

Cherio
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

navis995 wrote:
Wear level changing weekly. You HAVE to use battery at least once per week to keep it healthy. I have G750JZ for 6 months now and the battery wear is 4%, yesterday was 5% 2 weeks ago 10% and then again 5%. Its changes depends on the battery usage. If you're using it a lot or just here and there. All in all no worries. As long you use it here and there and not completely discharge it (around 10-15% left) you should have it for 4 years without any problems. Don't bother removing it out when you're doing heavy gaming either because it may just do more harm than good. All in all no battery will last 10 years with no wear what so ever, which may change with carbon based batteries but that is still yet to come 😉
Cherio

navis995, it's an interesting theory, not sure how it applies to my usage and resulting wear level number, I haven't used it on battery at all for months, and not since I first started looking at the wear level again this week.

It's definitely true for me. For example I didn't use the battery for a whole week and wear level was at 10%. The I started using the battery and upon my next inspection I had it on 5%.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD