cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 update murders G75vx

Scave
Level 7
A few weeks ago I got a windows update that required a reboot. After a few reboots and installation screens, it said "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer". I waited for a few hours and it still said that. I rebooted, same screen. After a few hours of troubleshooting including windows repairs and system restores I ended up reinstalling windows completely. Not fun.

Fast forward to today.

I got a windows update prompt. Didn't think about it. Rebooted. Stuck in same place.

Any idea what is causing this???
12 REPLIES 12

billyray520
Level 10
Do you have Windows automatically update your notebook? (not a good idea)
Or do you examine the updates first before letting them install? (a better idea)

If you examine updates first, were there any driver updates or just Windows security updates?

Do you have System restore activated? If so you can restore from before update.

If not, you should at least be saving system images of your hdd/ssd which can be restored.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Test

Well I took the time to reply to each of your questions but then the forum ate it...

In short, I'm looking for someone with specific knowledge on any known compatibility issues with the G75 and any current Windows updates.

p.s. I can't edit either. Neat.

Clintlgm
Level 14
This forum works with MS updates http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/ If you need a clean install download ISO here
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Scave
Level 7
Did anyone actually read my post? 😞

Yes I did, and I directed you too a forum where issues with window 8 updates are discussed and solved.
There are no known issues with G Series notebooks and windows 8 or 8.1.

Windows 8.1 Requires specific Drivers for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, Window 8 also has some specific drivers updated if you are upgrading from Windows 7. This can all be found at Asus Support Downloads

I can't really speak to the upgrade process and as always I have known that the Clean install of a new OS is always preferred and far less troublesome. this is how I have been running Window 8.1 update with any issues what so ever.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Has anyone located a fix to the issue? I've been trying to updgrade to 8.1, but it is not possible due to missing updates. Can't update since the updates kill my pc and I have to restore it.

C4RN1
Level 9
I read it but I don't understand why you're asking us these questions if you don't want to answer the questions we ask.

Simply put, you're having these issues because windows 8 is garbage (it always has been and it's not going to change). You can do a system recovery on a Asus computer, after it's done windows will try to automatically upgrade to 8.1 and most of the time it will fail. Then you can sit there and watch windows try to revert changes for a few hours. This has happened to me several times on multiple computers.

Now since you don't know the exact update that is causing your issue you should disable automatic updates (as directed from the first reply). This will at least buy you some time before the update installs. If I were you I would make sure I have all of the critical updates needed for windows 8.1, because that's the large update you can't stop. It will force you to update, and if you don't have everything required the update will fail.

One other comment, Have you looked at the Asus Support Downloads for updated drivers for 8.1 if not this could be the problem with updating I know that for some the WiFi and Bluetooth drivers need to be upgraded before attempting the 8.1 update!! Otherwise as C4RN1 suggest clean install save your self all this aggravation.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro