cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What headphones/headsets do you recommend for FPS games?

hydrarog
Level 7
For FPSs such as Counter Strike:Global Offensive. What are the headphones/headsets you are using now? And what do you recommend as the best gaming headset/headphone? There are so many mixed reviews and answers when I google it. So can you guys give your honest unbiased opinions?
5 REPLIES 5

XOIIO
Level 7
I have a Razer megalodon and it's a great headset overall. Mic quality is apparently pretty good on the other end, I've tried recording with it but there's a lot of background noise it picks up since my sensitivity is set decently high for teamspeak auto chat.

It's very comfortable though the ear pads can get a bit warm, and do pick up dust easily, I often forget I even have it on. Being able to adjust individual channel volume and mic sensitivity and level on the control pod is awesome, great for on the fly adjustments if you are in game.

I use it in 2.0 mode mostly, in my experience the surround sound doesn't sound quite right but that seems to be an issue with the two games I have which actually have surround sound output, according to other reviews the surround sound is great if the game supports it.

There are a couple issues, one is that I had to exchange one pair I had, the connections inside the headset came loose, and you could repair it if you know how to solder but I still had warranty, I believe it's because my headset had gotten tugged on a few times, I since put a screw in my desk to set it on and have been using it ages without a single issue since (probably two years now but I'm bad ad remembering time accurately lol)

The other is usage with usb 3.0 ports in windows 8, apparently the drivers the megalodon uses are not compatible, and it causes it to be unusable, but if you have a USB 2.0 hub it works flawlessly so the issue is indeed with usb 3.0 in windows 8. It's a very minor issue that is easy to overlook for such a good headset.

joshindaphils
Level 11
I have the Razor Kraken 7.1 Chroma USB for gaming with teamspeak. The audio is okay, I had to EQ out some of the bass. It is better than you average headphone, but nothing spectacular. Honestly the best part of the headphones are the mic and the Razor Synapse software... whatever algorithms they use for the ambient noise reduction is truly grand. I've never used anything that works so well. I use it to record example / demo videos from desktop recordings as well in a rather noisy environment (window A/C, and two toddlers in the house) and the only thing recorded is silence and my voice in the audio. Works incredible as a Skype / VOIP headset as well for the same reasons. Razor really hit the nail on the head on the mic pickup, it is by far the best VOIP headset I've used, and I've spent more coin on supposedly top of the line VOIP purpose built headsets.

If you already have a good mic setup or it is not important to you head on over to http://www.head-fi.org/f/ don't bother with gaming centric reviews. For good audio I use a AKG 271 MKII ran on an external DAC/amp, it is a very neutral setup so it may lack the bass punch many consider the hallmark of good sound, as well they are not the best headsets to use without an amp, originally picked them up for listening to music at the office so I went with a closed set, you typically get better sound out of open headsets but then you get less isolation.

Honestly your best bet is to load up some music / sample audio you like and visit a brick and mortar to audition headsets and get the one you like.

HulkSmash
Level 8
I use my PS4 Gold Wireless headphones with my pc. And they actually work great. I picked them up for $69, although the price is $100, but you can still find it for $80 easily. Wireless, 7.1 virtual surround (very good sound quality, of course not compared to $300 headphones), and hidden microphone.

All the settings can be adjusted straight from the buttons on the heaphones, volume sound sensitivity, bass boost, and a minor microphone relay into the speakers- so you don't yell at your teamates, it blocks out the sound from outside very well. I researched a lot before I got the headphones, and in my opinion, there aren't better headphones for the $100 price range.

It's a little plasticky, but very good sturdy material. the ear pads are great too. Another cool feature is that even though it's wireless (no bluetooth, usb flash), is that it has an aux connection, so you can use it even with devices that won't take an usb.

Also as for the surround sound, it is pretty decent. You won't be able to precisely pinpoint the "exact" location of where someone is, but it is does a great job in giving you the sense of direction of where the action is happening.

Oh and another thing. I've heard some people say the volume is a tiny bit low. The sound is loud enough for me though, I don't even use it all the way up; and I like loud things lol.

Akik82
Level 8
I use a Tritton AX720 for years and for me the quality is very good.

Korth
Level 14
My old SteelSeries Siberia V2 still does the job very well.

Picked up a used Pilot P51 PTT headset cheap on eBay, and a pair of (not so cheap) superior 50mm drivers off Alibaba, I plan to rock some killer Airwolf-styled cans with awesome sound after the electrical mods. If you're up to doing something like this then you won't find a lot better in the gaming headphone/headset market. Any common 20Hz-20KHz headset will suffice, unless you're particular about brand and looks.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]