cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powering up my G73 w/out using the Power button: Is this impossible?

andycapp
Level 7
My G73JH spends most of its time under a monitor stand, and with all of the cables connected, it is difficult to pull out far enough to open the the screen and hit the power button to turn it on, unless I disconnect some of the cables and then reconnect them.

Is there an alternate way to get the machine to power-up?

Caveat: I realize that I can put the machine into 'sleep' mode, and then use the mouse or keyboard to 'wake' it. That's fine during the day, but I prefer to have the machine fully powered down overnight, and this daily ritual is kind of a pain (plus, I am not a fan of the wear and tear caused by constant cable plug-ins).

I could live with a solution that involves a 'wake from hibernate,' because hibernate does shut down the machine; I would just do a re-boot every morning to 'freshen-up', but I'm not aware of any other way (besides power button) to wake from hibernate either.

Thanks for your thoughts.
21 REPLIES 21

JRd1st
Level 12
I'd like some way to do that, too. Y9ud have to mod the ubit, I think; put a small momentary contact button on the side?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
I'd like some way to do that, too. Y9ud have to mod the ubit, I think; put a small momentary contact button on the side?

Agreed. There's no alternative to physically pressing that button, ASAIK. So you have several ways to try to "externalize" the button, but I think the easiest would be a "lever system" that takes advantage of the fact that the lid is closed. (That would be kind of a fun little project! :))

BrodyBoy wrote:
Agreed. There's no alternative to physically pressing that button, ASAIK. So you have several ways to try to "externalize" the button, but I think the easiest would be a "lever system" that takes advantage of the fact that the lid is closed. (That would be kind of a fun little project! :))

Crazy as it sounds, opening the lid is what I want to avoid. I have a dock and rarely touch the laptop, except to turn it on. Lol

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

xeromist
Does the BIOS have any options for "Wake on [...]"?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Does the BIOS have any options for "Wake on [...]"?

But don't those only work from sleep? If those functions could actually power up a machine, that's obviously the way to go. But I do think the machine has to be asleep.... 😞

JRd1st
Level 12
@xeromist, Doesn't it have to be on to some extent to do that?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
@xeromist, Doesn't it have to be on to some extent to do that?

...ish. It depends on the implementation but some wake on features are extremely low power and don't require OS sleep. A proper wake-on setup doesn't even care what OS is running for that matter. They can essentially be "off" and be required to go through a normal booting process on wake.

I've no idea if ANY of the ASUS laptops even have low level wake capabilities though, since that's not something you normally need in a portable machine.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

JRd1st
Level 12
Just close the lid on a pop stick and lift the stick slightly to push the button. Is that what you meant, Brody?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Just close the lid on a pop stick and lift the stick slightly to push the button. Is that what you meant, Brody?

Yeah, something along that line! I'm not sure how much clearance there is when the lid's closed, so you have to use a lever that's thin enough to not depress the button otherwise. And probably cover it in a way that holds it in place and protects the laptop display. But it doesn't seem like it'd be too complicated, right?