cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting HDD With One Partition

GeneralJefe
Level 7
Alright, so I've had my G750 for some time now. In the beginning, I knew I'd come to a point where I would start to hate the fact that my single drive is essentially split in half (two partitions), and I've hit that point. The only problem is, I've no idea how to format the drive. Usually, I'd use a Windows disk, but this didn't come with one. Some PCs allow the user to format the drive without a disk, but I'm not able to find a way to repartition the HDD. How would I go about doing this?
12 REPLIES 12

hmscott
Level 12
GeneralJefe wrote:
Alright, so I've had my G750 for some time now. In the beginning, I knew I'd come to a point where I would start to hate the fact that my single drive is essentially split in half (two partitions), and I've hit that point. The only problem is, I've no idea how to format the drive. Usually, I'd use a Windows disk, but this didn't come with one. Some PCs allow the user to format the drive without a disk, but I'm not able to find a way to repartition the HDD. How would I go about doing this?

GeneralJefe,

Here are a couple of posts/threads on how to do it:

A Simple Question, Does the g751jy have a backup on it? <== applies to the G750 too.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53790-A-Simple-Question-Does-the-g751jy-have-a-backup-on-i...

Anyone knows how to merge C & D disk/drive into one?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51245-Anyone-knows-how-to-merge-C-amp-D-disk-drive-into-one...

Well, the problem is: I don't just want to combine the partitions, I want to completely reinstall windows on one partition (i.e. I want to wipe my current install). With no disk, I have no idea how to go about this. And if 'f9' while booting is supposed to do anything, it absolutely does not for me. Yes, I jamming it at the right time (the whole boot time in fact), and nothing happens. It just boots into windows. Any suggestions?

GeneralJefe wrote:
Well, the problem is: I don't just want to combine the partitions, I want to completely reinstall windows on one partition (i.e. I want to wipe my current install). With no disk, I have no idea how to go about this. And if 'f9' while booting is supposed to do anything, it absolutely does not for me. Yes, I jamming it at the right time (the whole boot time in fact), and nothing happens. It just boots into windows. Any suggestions?

GeneralJefe, the timing sucks on these F-keys at startup, only the first couple of seconds of the boot register the key taps. So the way I do it is to power off. Then tap the power on key and move right over and tap the F9 key 4 or 5 times rapidly - and don't use the Fn+F9, just the F9. If you want, you can practices with the F2 key to get into the BIOS, to get the timing right.

That should work. If it doesn't then boot on your Asus Backtracker created USB 3.0 16GB flash drive and restore using that - be sure and remove your 2nd bay drive - or back up the data, because the restore from the flash drive will erase both drives it finds in the laptop before doing the restore.

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1 download
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

Asus Backtracker FAQ
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008640/

Some versions of the reset/restore let you decline the 2nd partition, but the one in the G750 doesn't. You will get a reset of the OS to the out of the box configuration, on 2 partitions.

Then you can follow the previous links for how to delete the partitions, and absorb the free space back into the C drive. It doesn't take but a few minutes.

I don't recommend doing a from scratch install from Microsoft Windows media, there are too many things to do to get you back running at the same level that the Asus Windows Build gives you.

Asus spent a lot of time making the image for the G750, with all the drivers and configuration done for you.

The only drag with the older restore, you will be back on Windows 8, is that you need to do all the Windows 8 updates, then upgrade to Windows 8.1, then the Windows 8.1 updates, and install the latest Windows 8.1 drivers.

So for you it will be a wash, going from either base.

But, if you do go with the from scratch install, at least backup the Asus OS recovery partition with Asus Backtracker, so if things don't go as you like, you can boot on the USB 3.0 16GB flash drive and restore the original OS back to the boot drive.

Good luck 🙂

hmscott wrote:
GeneralJefe, the timing sucks on these F-keys at startup, only the first couple of seconds of the boot register the key taps. So the way I do it is to power off. Then tap the power on key and move right over and tap the F9 key 4 or 5 times rapidly - and don't use the Fn+F9, just the F9. If you want, you can practices with the F2 key to get into the BIOS, to get the timing right.

That should work. If it doesn't then boot on your Asus Backtracker created USB 3.0 16GB flash drive and restore using that - be sure and remove your 2nd bay drive - or back up the data, because the restore from the flash drive will erase both drives it finds in the laptop before doing the restore.

Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1 download
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

Asus Backtracker FAQ
http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008640/

Some versions of the reset/restore let you decline the 2nd partition, but the one in the G750 doesn't. You will get a reset of the OS to the out of the box configuration, on 2 partitions.

Then you can follow the previous links for how to delete the partitions, and absorb the free space back into the C drive. It doesn't take but a few minutes.

I don't recommend doing a from scratch install from Microsoft Windows media, there are too many things to do to get you back running at the same level that the Asus Windows Build gives you.

Asus spent a lot of time making the image for the G750, with all the drivers and configuration done for you.

The only drag with the older restore, you will be back on Windows 8, is that you need to do all the Windows 8 updates, then upgrade to Windows 8.1, then the Windows 8.1 updates, and install the latest Windows 8.1 drivers.

So for you it will be a wash, going from either base.

But, if you do go with the from scratch install, at least backup the Asus OS recovery partition with Asus Backtracker, so if things don't go as you like, you can boot on the USB 3.0 16GB flash drive and restore the original OS back to the boot drive.

Good luck 🙂

Well, I definitely appreciate your help. However, I may have done exactly what you recommended I not do... before you recommended it. I used a Windows 8.1 disc (OEM) to delete both the DATA and OS partitions. I formatted the newly unallocated space into one new partition, and installed windows on said partition. I did however leave the recovery partition untouched, in case it would be of use. So, now I'm pretty much at exactly where you described. I have my large C: drive and no drivers/utilities. Upon trying to install the utilities manually (yes, a pain), I get error messages (e.g. backtracker telling me it doesn't recognize an Asus PC). Now, I'm not quite sure what the next step is. Upon trying to reset the PC by clicking f9, I get a message saying that the reset failed as I am missing a required partition (I guess it doesn't like the combined partitions or something). So then, now that I've sufficiently screwed it up, what should my next step me to get all of the drivers/utilities back? Again, thanks for your detailed response, I appreciate it.

I just performed a clean 8.1 install. I downloaded ALL ASUS drivers for my 750JM. I followed these instructions:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2328-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows...
Then, I installed the ASUS Drivers and programs I wanted...USB Charge + is the only program I really wanted.
Much improved performance. I dual-boot 10, and It is even better. I am not able to get Realtek and Elan drivers to work properly though.u

THempleman wrote:
I just performed a clean 8.1 install. I downloaded ALL ASUS drivers for my 750JM. I followed these instructions:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2328-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows...
Then, I installed the ASUS Drivers and programs I wanted...USB Charge + is the only program I really wanted.
Much improved performance. I dual-boot 10, and It is even better. I am not able to get Realtek and Elan drivers to work properly though.u

THempleman, comparisons have been done, there is no feature or performance improvement gained by installing Windows from scratch on your own. Zero. The best you can hope for is that you will be able to find, download, and install everything that was already installed on your laptop, and get back the same functionality you had already with the Asus Windows install.

I use the Asus Windows OS Build, and my OC Benchmarks are the highest for the G750JH. I can do without a few of the Asus Apps, so I take 5 minutes to uninstall them, and then I am done.

Unless you have been unfortunate enough to lose your original Asus Windows install, there is absolutely no reason to do it.

For those of you with the Asus Windows build there is no reason to blow it away and do it yourself from scratch, there is nothing to gain.

Be sure and back up your original Asus OS using Asus Backtracker to create a USB 3.0 16GB recovery flash drive, and then set your original HDD aside for emergencies. Having a couple of places to recover the OS from is a good idea, and you will thank yourself one day for doing it 🙂

Great to know! I DID delete my recovery partition, so I was forced to a clean install. I wanted to point out that with the help of these groups, anything can be undone or redone and not to get too uptight!

THempleman wrote:
Great to know! I DID delete my recovery partition, so I was forced to a clean install. I wanted to point out that with the help of these groups, anything can be undone or redone and not to get too uptight!

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59266-Formatting-HDD-With-One-Partition&p=485688&viewfull=...

THempleman, if you could remember to recommend to others that they not do a re-install, and if they do to back up their Recovery partition so the same waste of time doesn't happen to them, we would appreciate it - I am sure they will too 🙂

We don't get uptight, we get our time used up supporting people that lost their original Asus Windows install and try to get it back. Every time this happens we can't help someone else.

I's a waste of time on both sides, for every post that recommends re-installing Windows. 😞

Just got G750JS Laptop Back after warranty claim. Backtracker back-up, clean install?
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61153-Just-got-G750JS-Laptop-Back-after-warranty-claim-Back...