cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC freezes and "Overclocking Failed" after reboot

phbo
Level 7
I'm a proud owner of an ASUS X99-A with an i75820K for 3 weeks now. Everything worked fine. Yesterday after about 12 hours uptime I rebooted my pc and got "Overclocking Failed! Please enter setup to re-configure your system. Press F1 to run setup.". I shut the pc down and tried again an hour later. After about 30 minutes everything froze. After reboot I got "overclocking failed" again.

The weird thing is: I did not even overclock the system.

Windows runs for 10 to 60 minutes and it freezes. The temperature is never about 45 degrees Celcius.

I tried the following things:
- new thermal paste
- bios update
- setting everything to auto
- loading optimized defaults
- jumper reset
- crying a lot of tears :_(

I ran Prime95 for about 15 minutes and the temperature did not get below 45 degrees. So I guess it's not a heat problem. But what else can it be?
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15

phbo
Level 7
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
RAM: 2xCrucial Ballistix Sport DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2400
Power: be quiet! Straight Power E9-CM 480W ATX 2.4

Chino
Level 15
Confirm that you've connected the 8 pin power cable to your motherboard. Also is that a single 16GB (2x8GB) kit or did you combine two separate 8GB (1x8GB) kits together?

phbo
Level 7
The power cable is conected and everything worked the last weeks. The problem occured yesterday but I did not change anything until than.

I use 2 8GB bars but they are the same. Both are Crucial Ballistix Sport DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2400, CL16-16-16 (BLS8G4D240FSA).

Chino
Level 15
Correct.

Remove one of the memory modules. Then clear your CMOS and run your system at 2133MHz. See if the problem persists.

Ecdima
Level 7
I was wondering whether this problem was resolved and if it was due to combining two separate 8GB sticks, as I am considering of doing the same thing. I know that only kits are guaranteed to work perfectly together, but I can get a much better price for buying the two separate sticks.

Ecdima wrote:
I was wondering whether this problem was resolved and if it was due to combining two separate 8GB sticks, as I am considering of doing the same thing. I know that only kits are guaranteed to work perfectly together, but I can get a much better price for buying the two separate sticks.

Don't do it. LOL

Ecdima wrote:

LOL

The cost savings won't look as appealing after you add in the price of all those bottles of Aspirin (or vodka).

DDR4 has evolved a little since Raja's thread, and I think (but Chino may disagree) that you can get away with mixed DDR4 kits if they're limited to purely 1.2V JEDEC standard. But populating more than one single-rank DIMM per channel and/or DIMMs operating at extreme frequencies (higher than DDR4-2400) will strain the iMC in your Haswell-E (and motherboard) and will force you to endure much *very* finicky timing/latency/voltage tweaking just to get your system running stable - you wouldn't likely be able to even run the DDR4 at rated XMP unless you win the silicon lottery (on the processor and motherboard and every DDR4 stick) and have some luck to spare.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Casper_Nguyen
Level 7
Is any led on (CPU, DRAM and VGA) ? It can tell you something. Try the MemOK! button on the motherboard without powering up the PC. Try to disable the TPU and EZ XMP switch which support automatic overclocking. You should refer the user manual.