cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (Netio.SYS) Help

mteague
Level 7
Hi computer gurus

I am currently having a blue screen error appearing randomly. The error is: system service exception (netio.sys). The computer then restarts and boots fine.

The crash happens really randomly and at the moment has only happened when the system hasn't had much load. The PC was running fine at 4.6GHz until I did the recent Windows 8.1 update.

I would be so so grateful if someone could help me with this as I'm worrying like mad with it as I have no clue how to fix it and stop it from happening again.

My WhoCrashed report is:

On Sat 21/03/2015 18:47:25 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\032115-8765-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: netio.sys (NETIO+0x12A17)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF801EF812A17, 0xFFFFD00021912130, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\netio.sys
product: MicrosoftÆ WindowsÆ Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Network I/O Subsystem
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 21/03/2015 18:47:25 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nfc_driver.sys (NFC_Driver+0x46E4)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF801EF812A17, 0xFFFFD00021912130, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nfc_driver.sys
product: Network Flow Control SDK
company: Titan ARC Corp.
description: Network Flow Control SDK WFP Driver (WPP)
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nfc_driver.sys (Network Flow Control SDK WFP Driver (WPP), Titan ARC Corp.).
Google query: Titan ARC Corp. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

My specs are:

Windows 8.1
EVGA GTX 980 Classified overclocked to 1598GHz
i7 4790k overclocked to 4.6GHz
32GB 24000MHz Hyper X RAM
Asus Maximus Hero VII
1200i Corsair PSU
X61 Kraken

I have done a sfc /scannow and everything came back as ok, I also did a system restore which seemed ok until the update installed again.

Thank you for you help in advanced
25 REPLIES 25

genolark
Level 7
Hey I finally found someone who is having the same issues. as I am. Here is all of what I have found out so far if this helps anyone else to figure out a solution to this problem. I have determined that the file mentioned in the OP's post as well as mine are linked to the ASUS Game First III program that came pre installed on mine as well as most other ROG laptops.

I have gotten the exact same BSOD on windows 8.1 as you have OP and have done thorough digging around to find a solution. I have run diagnostic testing via Eurosoft PC-Check, Memtest, Linux, Live PE's. All have shown no errors on any hardware. I have also run HDaT and all smart results show up fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong hardware wise with the system. I will assume that your system hardware wise is fine as well since it is the same scenerio.

I have bioled it down to software error via driver that loads into the Netio.sys file and dumps improperly into memory causing the BSOD. The file nfc_driver.sys is the culprit in this error and that file is again tied to ASUS Gamer First III which is a network bandwidth management program I believe to allow for online gaming to run smoother on your system and with your ISP. Now I have tried disabling the app from running at all and it seemed to work for almost a week until today when it BSOD'd on me again actually 2 back to back. I am now posting all of my finding on here in hopes that someone can come up with a solution to our problem cause I don't think we are the only ones having this issue.

I will now try uninstalling the Gamer First program completely to test it out and see if that resolves the BSOD randomly occurring. If it works I will post back my test results.

Thanks

Genolark

genolark wrote:
Hey I finally found someone who is having the same issues. as I am. Here is all of what I have found out so far if this helps anyone else to figure out a solution to this problem. I have determined that the file mentioned in the OP's post as well as mine are linked to the ASUS Game First III program that came pre installed on mine as well as most other ROG laptops.

I have gotten the exact same BSOD on windows 8.1 as you have OP and have done thorough digging around to find a solution. I have run diagnostic testing via Eurosoft PC-Check, Memtest, Linux, Live PE's. All have shown no errors on any hardware. I have also run HDaT and all smart results show up fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong hardware wise with the system. I will assume that your system hardware wise is fine as well since it is the same scenerio.

I have bioled it down to software error via driver that loads into the Netio.sys file and dumps improperly into memory causing the BSOD. The file nfc_driver.sys is the culprit in this error and that file is again tied to ASUS Gamer First III which is a network bandwidth management program I believe to allow for online gaming to run smoother on your system and with your ISP. Now I have tried disabling the app from running at all and it seemed to work for almost a week until today when it BSOD'd on me again actually 2 back to back. I am now posting all of my finding on here in hopes that someone can come up with a solution to our problem cause I don't think we are the only ones having this issue.

I will now try uninstalling the Gamer First program completely to test it out and see if that resolves the BSOD randomly occurring. If it works I will post back my test results.

Thanks

Genolark

Thank you so much for the reply! I was starting to think I was the only one. I haven't done as many test as you but as far as I can tell my hardware is fine, as when in Windows everything was all working lovely until the recent 8.1 update was installed. Since it installed I now get this error.

I shall also try to uninstall GameFirst and will post back with what I find and any other findings I come across with this. Its annoying that 8.1 might have broke this useful software.

Thanks again =D

genolark wrote:

Thanks

Genolark

Hi Genolark

I found out (haven't tried) that it could also be the NVIDIA Network Access Manager. If you have an NVIDIA card try to uninstall the NVIDIA Network Access Manager program using "Uninstall a program".

Then restart the computer and check the situation in the Device Manager concerning the Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter which is presently disabled.

Also delete any other none necessary stuff with the card.

I shall also be trying this along with your suggestion and I will let you know by posting here how I get on.

Thanks

Mat

genolark
Level 7
Hey guys thanks for the replies. My system does not have the nVideo network adapter installed. I have the realtek and intel chips. I have gone through and removed the Gamer First software and so far low and behold my system is running great. Knock on wood of course lol. My system had Windows 8.1 preinstalled when I purchased the system a couple weeks ago. It would appear to be a bug somewhere in how Windows 8.1 utilizes this particular driver. The driver itself does appear to do some nice management and throttling of networking for games and latency but I say if you have decent ISP and good upload and download speeds then there really isn't any point in having the software. I will of course keep you all posted on anything else if it does happen.

It does help being a computer engineer for 20 years and knowing how systems should work and be able to troubleshoot very well. Hopefully this also helps others out there having similar issues.

Oh BTW wanted to let everyone know that when removing the software it did have an error when deleting the directory saying it was in use. After continuing and after removal says finished I rebooted and was able to manually delete the folder with out any problem.

Genolark

Hi Genolark thanks for replying. That sounds promising I shall certainly try this when I get home tonight. Thanks again

This forum is dedicated to MS BSOD very useful
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Zenite
Level 7
Unhappily having to report I to have recently had this. Two crashes recently. I had suspected it was some how linked to my VPN software (ExpressVPN) but having used WhoCrashed, and now finding this forum, I agree that NFC_driver.sys (Some random company from Taiwan, Titan ARC Corp) and netio.sys is the problem.
I'm sure Asus will do absolutely nothing to look into and fixing what appears to be a common issue on their systems, Asus Live Update has never produced anything.

Looks like the OP started a thread found on Microsoft Q&A site to, again similar answer provided : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/systemserviceexception-ne...

I've disabled the AsusGameFirstService in services.msc for now. Fingers crossed this service which I've never found useful is the cause and I'll not get any more crashes.

Godansman
Level 7
Got the same thing right now, if it helps I cannot download games properly from Steam at all. They keep on pausing and set on scheduled to restart about 5 minutes later. When I prompted again the download to start the system crashed. gg

I'll try to get rid of this asusgamefirst as you all suggested.

ALittleTeaPot
Level 7
I too have run into this issue, will post results tomorrow after disabling GameFirst.