cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux mint to ATK? Screen issue's

Thecrowlife
Level 7
Hello, i'm on Linux Mint 17, “Rebecca” Cinnamon

issue is, that i installed the Nvidia drivers 33.1 i belive... and the screen is so high, it over heating the keybored as anyone that is on linux mint / Ubuntu can share on ROG G75vw-BBBK? drivers and Linux Screen Birghtless and the FN F5 and F6 keys

any help will be nice ..
4 REPLIES 4

Korth
Level 14
I also use Mint/Rebecca with NVidia, but not on a laptop.

But, sorry, I've never heard of drivers capable of overheating a keyboard. Are you saying that your monitor's display intensity is so high that it actually radiates heat? Or are the internal electronics (under the keyboard) overheating? Ensure the laptop has adequate airflow, perhaps even dim your screen settings. Try rolling back to the previous driver version you used, see if the problem persists.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thecrowlife
Level 7
the screen in fact over heats to 50c to 90c from screen brightness but issue is i can't lower it at all.. its stuck on maxed high screen... issue is the keyboard with the medal plat is to hot to touch at times.. so trying to find out how to lower it settings but the sider does not work, nor the FN keys to it...

Well the ATK package has them controls, not sure Asus wrote any Linux drivers?, heat under the keyboard would be your CPU and GPU overheated insure your Fans and exits are clear of dust. I have no experience with Linux so can't be more helpful, I have never heard of a Screen heating up to 50C and above? How did you measure that temp? I would suggest Hwinfo64, you can see and monitor your Loads, Temps and Fan speeds for CPU and GPU which are pretty close if not all the main heat creating components in your notebook.
90C would be near 200F I think these screens might melt at that temp?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

_llusionist
Level 7
you need some kernel drivers enabled to get the fn keys working

if so you need to check wheter or not you have the following enabled in your kernel
CONFIG_ASUS_LAPTOP:
CONFIG_ACPI_WMI:
(ASUS_WMI)
HOTPLUG_PCI

these take care of most fn keys except the sleep fn key,which you will have to keybind to execute a script for full fonctionality.

Beware of the wifi key as it does not notifies you when you toggle it unlike on windows.