cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop FPS drastically lower than a few months ago? ROG G751JT 970M...

Death12312
Level 7
Hi,

I'm getting severely lower FPS in all of my games.

CPU utilization and GPU utilization are capped at 30% and 35% respectively?

What could be causing this?

I've done all sorts of things like checking power settings, unparking cores, checking temps (60 degrees for video card, 67 for cpu - both max temps).

When I first got my laptop I was getting 60 FPS in dragon age... Now I'm getting 15. In Osu, I was previously getting 1800 uncapped, now I am only getting 100 FPS.

Really wondering what's going on...
9 REPLIES 9

HulkSmash
Level 8
Death12312 wrote:
Hi,

I'm getting severely lower FPS in all of my games.

CPU utilization and GPU utilization are capped at 30% and 35% respectively?

What could be causing this?

I've done all sorts of things like checking power settings, unparking cores, checking temps (60 degrees for video card, 67 for cpu - both max temps).

When I first got my laptop I was getting 60 FPS in dragon age... Now I'm getting 15. In Osu, I was previously getting 1800 uncapped, now I am only getting 100 FPS.

Really wondering what's going on...

I hope you have it plugged in :P. Just gotta make sure of this one. lol

But I actually had a similar problem. For some reason there was a 32 bit steam application that for some reason would suck much of my performance. I would be playing Far Cry 4 (along with other games) at 60fps, and after a while it would drop to 30fps and stay there. I thought it was something like V-sync so I checked all the options for V-sync on the game/Nvidia Pannel, everything was fine there.

Then, I decided to check task manager's CPU utilization and saw a Steam (32 bit) application using like 12%, which isn't much. But monitoring my clocks, the video's core was sitting at 1037; I decided to end the Steam task and the clocks dropped to regular iddle clocks immediately. I searched for the path where the file was and deleted the file that would start the task. Didn't have any problems with Steam btw.

Never had any FPS drop problems again after it. (I also tested it a couple of times to make sure that was it before deleting the particular steam file. It was a bit bizarre, but it worked.

HulkSmash wrote:
I hope you have it plugged in :P. Just gotta make sure of this one. lol

But I actually had a similar problem. For some reason there was a 32 bit steam application that for some reason would suck much of my performance. I would be playing Far Cry 4 (along with other games) at 60fps, and after a while it would drop to 30fps and stay there. I thought it was something like V-sync so I checked all the options for V-sync on the game/Nvidia Pannel, everything was fine there.

Then, I decided to check task manager's CPU utilization and saw a Steam (32 bit) application using like 12%, which isn't much. But monitoring my clocks, the video's core was sitting at 1037; I decided to end the Steam task and the clocks dropped to regular iddle clocks immediately. I searched for the path where the file was and deleted the file that would start the task. Didn't have any problems with Steam btw.

Never had any FPS drop problems again after it. (I also tested it a couple of times to make sure that was it before deleting the particular steam file. It was a bit bizarre, but it worked.

HulkSmash, what was the file system path and name for the file? Have you done a steam update recently (silly question they happen all the time), but it's possible Steam will reinstall that file again on a future update...

HulkSmash
Level 8
Yes, it came back after a steam update and I had to delete it again. I don't remember the path though 😞

Also, is it safe overclocking a laptop without increasing the voltage? In theory, that only reduces stability and not heat?

Death12312
Level 7
I don't even have Steam launching on startup. 😞

Here are more things I've done:
-Everything plugged in, made sure adv power settings is 100% when plugged in
-Turn off Geforce experience Power Saving Mode (forgot name)
-Kboost (this one helped FPS a bit, but I never used it before when I first got it)
-Raise Core Clock to +135, Mem clock to +500

Any other ideas?

KingOfTanks_113
Level 7
really wish someone would do and overclocking what for dummies lol . I know it changes from unit to unit a bit but there should be like a guide to help out the noobies with safe numbers instead of sending them off to burn something out

HulkSmash
Level 8
I would lower the mem clock, to maybe 250-300. And a 135+mhz is more than fine to be honest. The cooling system on this laptop is great, and the OC really shouldn't cause any problems at all. I actually have a flashed VBIOS and run a 230+ on core with a very slight boost on voltage... never had a problem.

Given the way this laptop is built, I would honestly say a 135+ and 250+ on mem is 99.9% safe.

And as for the steam thing, neither did I have Steam to start on startup. But the "steam(32 bit)" process would still show in the processes in task manager. Have you checked for it yet?

Death12312
Level 7
I found out I needed to do a clean install - DERP.

Back to 90 FPS over 10 FPS.

As far as 345.20 vs 347.88 which is considered better? On OCN someone mentioned any version past 345.20 is bad for mobility rigs...

geneticweapon
Level 7
Earlier this week, I went through the same ordeal with my JT. Battlefield 4 went from 70fps down to 35ish, and my other games had their fps cut in half also. I tried everything to fix it, it wasn't anything I installed, I only use this notebook a couple times a month. I had to completely wipe the machine to fix the problem, and I'm extremely worried that this will keep happening.

I took my notebook out, played some games, put it away for almost a month, and when I turned it on this was happening.