cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KVM Switch with Asus Swift (PG278Q)

portalis07
Level 7
Hi all:

I am trying to find a KVM switch that works properly with the ASUS Swift.

I found Displayport 1.1 switches that support 2560x1440 at 60hz: http://www.siig.com/it-products/kvms/sw ... yport.html. Not an expert but I suppose that lack of 1.2 support + no support about 60hz is not ideal...

Anyone know a KVM switch that supports 2560x1440 at 144hz (or at least 120hz) ? If not possible, I guess I would settle for a switch that supports 2560x1440 at 60hz...

Thanks.

CL
12 REPLIES 12

Kuipo
Level 7
This is exactly the same boat I'm in. No luck so far in your search huh?

Korth
Level 14
I use the Belkin F1DN104P - it supports one input and four outputs (DisplayPort 1.1a, 3840x2160@60Hz). I think it's basically the best KVM specs you can find. If you can find anything better then please inform me by PM, haha.

It works fine with my PG278Q Rog Swift. It also works fine with a sordid variety of USB network and video capture hardwares. It turns out that DisplayPort 1.1a and DisplayPort 1.2 are, in the context of this application, fully compatible and interchangeable. At FHD 1920x1080@60Hz and WQHD 2560x1440@60Hz, anyhow.

It doesn't work at 120Hz, sorry. (It just won't, and just can't. But, if manfully forced through ugly hacks, it typically just halts drawing and kicks an onscreen error message back through the OS.)
It does work with G-Sync, up to 60Hz (or up to 60 fps, if you like), but it introduces latencies which apparently load onto the GPU (or force it to slow frame timing) a little. I think a single GPU would lose some fps, but I don't notice significant loss with my 2-SLI GTX980 setup (which almost always assures >60fps at these single-monitor resolutions, anyhow).

My only complaints with the unit - aside from hard technical limits and price tag - are that (contrary to some published info) it enumerates as USB2.0, not USB3.0. Not a biggy, but it's annoying that I cannot use USB3.0 superspeeds on my keyboard's integrated USB3.0 hub. And switching is not quite instantaneous, it takes a tiny fraction of a second to cross over.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Kuipo
Level 7
I don't really understand the concept of getting a 144Hz display if you then limit it to 60fps. I suppose it helps with dips in fps to eliminate tearing and reduce the stuttering caused by v-sync? Either way this isn't going to work for me if it doesn't support higher than 60Hz. Thank you for the quick reply about your setup. I was curious if a 60Hz rated one would work at all. I may have to look at a different monitor that has two inputs I suppose. =(

Kuipo wrote:
I don't really understand the concept of getting a 144Hz display if you then limit it to 60fps. I suppose it helps with dips in fps to eliminate tearing and reduce the stuttering caused by v-sync? Either way this isn't going to work for me if it doesn't support higher than 60Hz. Thank you for the quick reply about your setup. I was curious if a 60Hz rated one would work at all. I may have to look at a different monitor that has two inputs I suppose. =(

Your comment made me realize the same thing. So I reorganized things, keeping the Swift on my pretty gaming rig, buying a cheapo little 1920x1080@60Hz monitor (and another keyboard) to use on my (well, my employer's) KVM machines. Why invest extra into a monitor built for beautiful gaming, then chop it down to 60fps?

This Gefen GTB-DPKVM-3CAT7(-BLK) DisplayPort KVM Extender over CAT-7 advertises up to 2560x1600@120Hz (when all the proper DisplayPort 1.1a, USB 2.0, and CAT-7 cables/devices are used). USD$999, about the same cost as another Rog Swift (plus keyboard), lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Think I may have found an at least partial solution to the ROG Swift KVM switch conundrum. Lindy have just launched a 2 Port 4K DisplayPort switch (http://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/switches-c175/displayport-c178/2-port-4k-displayport-switch-p8... which they assure me supports 2560 x 1440 @ 120Hz over short cable throws (not using nVidia GPUs so can't achieve 144Hz Tuirbo mode). Per my posting of 05-13-2015 (May 13th 2015 to all UK readers) above, I now have an Aten CS22U switching keyboard & mouse inputs, & the Lindy switch to toggle display between my docked laptop and desktop PC. All I need now is the 0.5m male-male DisplayPort cable to connect from the Lindy switch to my ROG Swift. Will report early next week if this works when the cable arrives. In UK the switch only costs about £22; so in US it 'll probably be about 22$ if it follows typical US vs UK Price trends!!

brianjgregory
Level 7
I have also been trying to find a genuinely, fully DisplayPort 1.2 compatible KVM switch (i.e., able to support up to DisplayPort 1.2's 2560 x 1600 @ 120Hz limit). Have to say that such a beast does not currently exist as far as I can tell. Tried a Belkin FD102P, but it wouldn't display any refresh rate above 60Hz. At the moment I have a DisplayPort extender cable & physically switch it between my docked DELL Precision M4800 laptop & my Asus Sabertooth 990FX based desktop; using a venerable Aten CS22U K(V)M switch to swop keyboard and mouse between computers. Less than ideal, but it's all that's currently available to the best of my knowledge. If anyone knows better please let me know ASAP!! Rgds., Brian Gregory.

brianjgregory
Level 7
Today, June 22nd, new 0.5m DisplayPort cable arrived. I can confirm that the Lindy 2 Port 4K DisplayPort switch does indeed support 2560 x 1440 @120Hz; & so provides a partial solution to the KVM switch issue - provided that you are prepared to use a cheap conventional KVM switch for toggling keyboard & mouse; in conjunction with the Lindy switch to toggle display inputs. Hope this is a help to other ROG Swift users:cool::cool:

Not so workable after all: it seems that the Lindy switch can happily display my laptop's 2560 x 1440 @85Hz; and seemed to initially support 2560 x 1440 @120Hz; but after a couple of restarts to check stability it began to refuse to display at the 120Hz refresh rate & has doggedly continued not to work at 120Hz since then. If I remove the Lindy switch & connect my desktop PC direct to PG278Q: no probs. 2560 x 1440 @120Hz straight away. Don't invest in one just yet.................................. 😞

I was excited until I read the last post. With 4k being more and more popular surely these switches must be on the horizon. Until then I will keep manually swapping out the display port, kb and m cables lol. Such a pain in the arse when you want to work from home.